Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is DD getting enough Vitamin D?

Default Is DD getting enough Vitamin D?

I pump weaned when DD was about 12 months, but we have continued breastfeeding when we are together...and I hope to continue that for as long as she wants.

DD now refuses to drink cow milk. She used to drink it warm from a bottle, but in her new room at daycare they don't allow bottles and they don't warm up the milk in sippy cups. I tried with a warm bottle at home on the weekend and she wanted nothing to do with it.

I have been reading about Vitamin D deficiency in babies that are breatfed and I am getting concerned about DD's Vit D intake since she won't drink cow milk.... She loves egg yolks (a good source of Vit D) and cheese and, of course, Cheerios (fortified with Vit D). I also take prenatals/lactating women vitamins and drink cow milk

So...how do I know if she's getting enough Vitamin D? What do you mamas do if your LOs don't drink cow milk to make sure they are getting enough Vit D?

TIA
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

Default Re: Is DD getting enough Vitamin D?

The best source of vit d is sunlight. Here is another thread on it. http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...hlight=vitamin
    I think if your lo is getting around 10 minutes per day of sunlight and you are not too far north she should be fine.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Unless you live where its very sunny all year long.. your lo probably doesn't get enough Vitamin D.
    We live in the Northeast. I had my Vit d levels check in May.. as did Dh and we were both around 30.. The recommended levels now are around 50. WE both take a Vit D suppliment. My dd is 15 m and still breastfeeding 4-6 times a day. She also gets a Vit D suppliment.
    I order this one called Just D from sunlightvitamins.com.... But I believe Carlson Vitamins also make a Vit d drops.
    The current recommendation is for like 400iu of Vit D daily I believe but newer studies are recommending as much as 10,000 Iu daily! Most docs are not up to date on all this though so do your own research.
    Vit D is not very present in foods...
    Also if you slather your kid with sunscreen everytime she is in the sun then he won't get the vit D .

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I give my boy Vitamin D drop everyday (okay some days I forget ). It's very recommend because we live in Canada.

I live in Canada and I don't give Vitamin D to my DS or even take it other than what is in my multi.

From Dr. Newman:
    6. Breastfeeding babies need extra vitamin D.

Not true! Everyone needs vitamin D. Formula has it added at the factory. But the baby is born with a liver full of vitamin D, and outside exposure allows the baby to get the vitamin D from ultraviolet light even in winter. The baby does not need a lot of outside exposure and does not need outside exposure every day. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and is stored in the body. In some circumstances (for example, if the mother herself was vitamin D deficient during the pregnancy) it may be prudent to supplement the baby with vitamin D. Exposing the baby to sunlight through a closed window does not work to get the baby more vitamin D.

And From Kelly Mom
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html
    Amanda Wife to my wonderful husband 06_98
    Breastfeeding, Sling Wearing, Co-sleeping, Cloth Diapering Mom to my Intact Boys
    DS #1 - 02_02 BF'ed for 9 Months and
    DS #2 - 10_06 Currently BF'ed 22 Months and still going.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amandyg View Post
    I live in Canada and I don't give Vitamin D to my DS or even take it other than what is in my multi.

From Dr. Newman:
    6. Breastfeeding babies need extra vitamin D.

Not true! Everyone needs vitamin D. Formula has it added at the factory. But the baby is born with a liver full of vitamin D, and outside exposure allows the baby to get the vitamin D from ultraviolet light even in winter. The baby does not need a lot of outside exposure and does not need outside exposure every day. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and is stored in the body. In some circumstances (for example, if the mother herself was vitamin D deficient during the pregnancy) it may be prudent to supplement the baby with vitamin D. Exposing the baby to sunlight through a closed window does not work to get the baby more vitamin D.

And From Kelly Mom
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html
    Most people in the us and canada ( where there is winter and lack of sunlight ) ARE deficient!!! Vit D is not readily available in food... its D3 we are talking about here and its critical for bones. The newest research is claiming adults might need as much as 10,000 iu of Vit d daily and anyone's whose levels are less than 50 are losing bone mass. Unless you are confidant that your levels are fine I would get your leverls checked or give some to your lo.
    I am betting what is in your multi is not much either... most mults give 200-400 IU... and you need to check to make sure its d3 and not d2. I personally take 4000 iu a day. And last i checked my levels where around 30.
    Most docs are not up to snuf with the newest research about vit d.
    Your lo probably getting Vit d from mama.. maybe even enough- but Mama needs to suppliment for sure unless she knows that her levels are fine.

THis article is from a recent cooking light magazine- its very helpful

http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking/...739703,00.html
    Last edited by @llli*kmama2; September 9th, 2008 at 07:39 AM.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I don't take vitamins regularly, about once every two weeks and my levels are perfect. I did have them checked. It's called sunlight.

I would rather take my advice from a trusted source like Kelly Mom who has their sources listed than a Cooking Magazine article with no sources.
    Last edited by @llli*amandyg; September 17th, 2008 at 10:50 PM.
    Amanda Wife to my wonderful husband 06_98
    Breastfeeding, Sling Wearing, Co-sleeping, Cloth Diapering Mom to my Intact Boys
    DS #1 - 02_02 BF'ed for 9 Months and
    DS #2 - 10_06 Currently BF'ed 22 Months and still going.