Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite bottle/nipple

Default Favourite bottle/nipple

Is there any consensus on this? Is there any nipple or bottle or nipple/bottle combination that is more likely to work for a BF baby?

My babe is 11 weeks old - she took a bottle (with Avent nipple) at 6 weeks with no problems so we didn't bother offering her another until this week. I return to work on Monday! She refused the Avent nipple and struggled with the Adiri nurser. She drinks maybe 1/2 an oz but battles the entire time. She tries to latch on and gets very frustrated with the shape of the nipple. I have more success then my husband and we have tried with me hidden, me near, different temps, different positions.

Is 12 weeks too young for a sippy cup?

Default Re: Favourite bottle/nipple

Since every child is different, it is really difficult to make suggestions as to what bottle/nipple is best. It all depends on what bottle/nipple your child likes. We went through 3 different bottle/nipple combinations before we found that the Avent worked for G. It was long, hard battle (and a bit expensive, too), but we finally found something that she liked. I know it's not very encouraging, but you may just have to do some trial and error to find out what her preferred bottle type is.
    Robin

We too went through a bunch of bottles and ended up with the one I thought least likely to work- the Playtex drop ins bottle... It's probably going to take some trial and error. You could always try a syringe but that would take a long time to feed and even then may not work well for lo.
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

I had a similar problem with my son. When I went back to work, the first week he did really great with the Avent bottles. The second week, he didn't want anything to do with them. That we spent a fortune on all different kinds. Still didn't find any he liked. The 3rd week I called my mother in law from work crying asking her to go bring him a sippy or something. She got there looked at the bottles there and said she didn't like any of them. Went to the local grocery store picked up the Platex drop in with the latex nipple, that day he drank 6 oz and has been eating like a champ ever since. You just never know what they are going to like. My first son loved the avent and never had a problem with them the whole time he used them.

I've been having a similair problem, and my Health Visitor has recommended NUK, so i've ordered a starter pack. I'm in the UK though rather than the US, so I don't know if you can get them over there.
    Proud mummy to Lillypig, in love with my best friend and partner, Batfink
    One year done, and still going strong.

I am having to switch bottles - my 12 week old was using cool bottles from The First Years that simulate a breast - they have a valve in them so the baby has to suck to get the milk. But now, she doesn't like the bottles - flow is too slow, maybe?? I hate to change b/c she was drinking less at dc and more at home and since I can only pump once during the day at work the bottles were working great for providing enough milk. Any thoughts??

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    I am having to switch bottles - my 12 week old was using cool bottles from The First Years that simulate a breast - they have a valve in them so the baby has to suck to get the milk. But now, she doesn't like the bottles - flow is too slow, maybe?? I hate to change b/c she was drinking less at dc and more at home and since I can only pump once during the day at work the bottles were working great for providing enough milk. Any thoughts??
    DD started refusing these as well when she was only a few months old. We also switched to Playtex drop-ins (mentioned above) with the silicone natural latch nipple, slow flow, and she seemed to love them. She only gets a bottle once a month now but when she does, she will still take that kind with no problem.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

- flow is too slow, maybe??
    Have you tried the faster flow nipples for those? Were you still using the nipples hat came with them?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Yes, I am still using the nipples that came with them. Where can I get the faster kind? I really want her to keep eating what she's truly hungry for and not start eating more becaues of a faster-flow bottle. The drop in natural nipple sounds good, too.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Where can I get the faster kind?
    I saw them at Babies R Us and you can get them online too. Good luck!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?