Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Doesn't seem to like solids

Default Doesn't seem to like solids

My LO is 6 months and cutting her first teeth. I'm trying to introduce solids but except for baby rice mixed with BM, she doesn't seem to like anything else which I give her. I've tried pureed sweet potato, mash potato, pear, apple mixed with rice and BM. She'll take a little bit and then really pulls her face and shivers like it tastes awful!!

Any suggestions please? Thanks.
    I'm Tracy. Wife to Jez. Mum to Abigail born 4th March 08 and Harriet 15th July 09
    and loving it. Trying out with new baby - so far so good!

Default Re: Doesn't seem to like solids

You could wait and try to introduce them later. Baby doesn't need solids yet. You could also try baby led solids. I think there is a sticky about it. Does she show most/all of the signs of readiness?

When I give her the baby rice she can't wait to get the spoon in and grabs it! She seems to notice food when we're eating but is also quite happy just with her BM.
    I'll have a look at the baby-led weaning info. Thank you.
    I'm Tracy. Wife to Jez. Mum to Abigail born 4th March 08 and Harriet 15th July 09

I'd stick with what she likes for now. She doesn't need it yet, so I would just let her decide what she likes & try to introduce the other stuff later.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

Okay. I don't want to put her off completely. Would it not matter then if she stayed on baby rice for a while as long as she still has plenty of BM?

Thanks for your help.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that. My lo only ate the rice w/ bm for several months before she would take anything else. To be honest, she didn't really like solids until 9 months and then didn't eat a lot until she was almost 12 months.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirlsmom View Post
    I don't think there is anything wrong with that. My lo only ate the rice w/ bm for several months before she would take anything else. To be honest, she didn't really like solids until 9 months and then didn't eat a lot until she was almost 12 months.

my LO is now 8 mos and is now interested in other foods. we actually took a bit of a break from solids for a few weeks as he decided he didn't want any at all for a time. we are just taking it slowly and following his cues.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

I agree with the other posters. Food is mostly just for experimenting at that age, anyway! Keep in mind BM is all your baby needs for the first year; there's certainly no reason for concern if she doesn't have a balanced diet at six months.

DS was a very late bloomer in terms of eating; I would say he was well into his second year before he ate an appreciable amount of solid foods, and he still would be perfectly happy to nurse the day away. I just have always made sure that I offered a healthy variety, which is a good habit to form no matter what your LO's preferences are.
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

Thank you all for your replies. I feel a lot more relaxed about it now. If I'm honest, I think I felt pressured by family to start her on solids when she's not quite ready yet.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*abismumuk View Post
    My LO is 6 months and cutting her first teeth. I'm trying to introduce solids but except for baby rice mixed with BM, she doesn't seem to like anything else which I give her. I've tried pureed sweet potato, mash potato, pear, apple mixed with rice and BM. She'll take a little bit and then really pulls her face and shivers like it tastes awful!!

Any suggestions please? Thanks.
    We started DD at 6 months as well. She made the disgusted face the first time she tried anything. Now at 9 months, she will pretty much eat anything. She usually is stuffing something in her face with one hand while picking up the next food with her other hand.

If we put 3-4 different types of food on her tray at once she will pick the things she wants to eat first. There are some foods like avocado that she has never liked. I wouldnt rush it, but I would keep offering. Just prepare very little so you dont waste anything. Some people said even at 14 months their babies arent really into solids.