Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Storage running low -time for formula?

Default Storage running low -time for formula?

I have a 5month old who has begun solids and sleeps through the night. I work full time and pump while at work, I average 10-12 ounces a day. I had a great supply of milk in the freezer that has now dwindled down to only a few bags. DH feeds LO about 16 ounces a day. I try and get an extra pumping session in during the morning so the frozen bags are not touch. We have gotten to the point that the supply is gone. I really do not want to feed LO formula. I have asked my DH to feed LO solids 2 times while I am at work. He acts as if it is a burden or he has no time. I feed LO just before I leave for work and as soon as i get home and from that point on.

What do you think a good schedule would be? Should he be getting solids at breakfast and lunch? Do we give him milk first? Should I wake LO and feed at night? Should I suck it up and give a bottle a day of formula?

Any help is appreciated!!
    Proud mother to a 24 wk preemie girl, born 9/6/04 and to a full term baby boy, born 4/9/08.

Default Re: Storage running low -time for formula?

How long are you away from your LO?

9 hours usually. once and a while 12 hours.
    Proud mother to a 24 wk preemie girl, born 9/6/04 and to a full term baby boy, born 4/9/08.

I am assuming that there is no way to fit in extra pumping time at work? What about pumping between nursing sessions over the weekend? This could raise your supply and allow you to pump more at work.

I would say nurse as much as possible when you're home to build your supply & pump any chance you get. He's so young I wouldn't want to give him more solids. If you can get 12 oz a day & he eats 16, then you just need to increase it a little. Maybe try nursing & pumping as much as possible on days you don't work too, then you can have a little extra & use what you pump at work for the next day. That way you will have almost enough pumped each day & you can use the weekend stash for what you don't get pumped the day before. Hope that makes sense!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

Thanks! I am going to try to get an extra pumping session in. I think I get discouraged when I only get 2-3 oz vs. 6 oz. I also talked with DH about how to fit solids in during his day and not wait for me to get home. Also how much I want to nurse until 1 yr and how he needs to help get me there.

Crack the whip on the hubby! It is his baby. Nothing should be a hassle, particularly since he's home.

On the supply side, I agree with pp, nurse like crazy while with her to bring up your supply. It'll work out mama. There was a point at work for me where I was just one bottle ahead of DD's intake and my stash was non-existent. Then she leveled off and we were good and I was able to get 6 bottles ahead of her. You can do it.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Good luck! I've had to add formula to my LO's diet once I went back to work. 2 weeks in, my freezer stash was gone. I pump 4x at work and still am lucky to get a 6 oz bottle, when she takes 4 while I'm gone! Although I was really upset at first, I realized that at least we made it to 5 mos. without formula, and she gets very little in the grand scheme of things. I'm still pumping though and am hoping to get a stash going again...

Hang in there and good luck.

I pump three times a day and wasn't getting more than two bottles. I work with a lactation consultant at the hospital in my town and she's awesome. She's given me the following advice which has helped me pump another bottle: In the morning when I get up or the baby gets up and wants to nurse, I put her on one breast while I pump the other breast. If we cosleep at night, I sort of favor one breast for most of the night and then save the other for that morning pump. The baby's suctioning on the one side increases your let down and produces more milk. During the day when I pump three times, I double pump which has the same effect - when you get a let down on one side the other side also lets down providing more milk. Then once nothing else is coming out I pump a bit on each side individually to make sure they are drained (massaging the milk out). At night when the baby goes to bed I pump again. This was crucial when we hit about 8 months cause my milk was going down (goes along with introduction of food). This gets me just 2 ounces but that's half a bottle. I've now added something new once or twice a week during that nighttime pump - I power pump (which I read about in a LLL magazine). I find an hour long show, set my pump up, and pump during commercials for that hour (even if nothing comes out I do the entire commercials). This helps boost your milk supply. Finally, I take 3-4 capsules of Fenugreek three times a day which is an herb that you could find in your healthfood store or whole foods market. It also helps build milk supply. With all of this, I send her with just 3-4 bottles of milk each day. And that seems to be good enough for her.

Also, on weekends, it is crucial that you pump in the morning and in the evening (again would be good in the morning if you put your baby on one side). This will help with your milk supply.

If all else fails, and I've never tried it, you could have a real breastfeeding weekend and breastfeed every two hours and then pump for 10 minutes after each feeding. Apparently that really pumps up your milk but again I've never tried it.'

Oh, and make sure you are eating lots of protein (whole milk, etc...) and drinking tons of water. I forget sometimes and I can see a big difference in my supply.

Finally, with respect to solids, I wouldn't rely on that too much. A six month old should only be getting about one meal - cereal (worth about 20 calories). When you get to 7 months, your husband can give your baby some plain yogurt with fruit or veggies once or twice a day. You can even have it mixed with cereal. A four ounce plain Yo Baby Yogurt (no sugar with plain) equals the amount of protein the baby will get in a bottle of milk. I give mine that every day for lunch and may add another one.