Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Talk to me about height growth

Default Talk to me about height growth

Hi All - I posted about 4 months ago on my 6 months' old growth. She is now 10 months and we are still have FTT issues.

At first, weight seemed to be the issue, but after 4 months, I'm not so concerned about it.

What is beginning to become more concerning with the ped and I is her rate of growth. We've had maybe a 3/4 of an inch since she was 2 months old. She is 10 months old.

Now I say maybe, she has been shrunk and stretched so many times, but the last "official" measurement was 25 1/4". I say official because this was done on a length board at the endocrinologist.

Here are her weight/length/HC and dates:

Born 11-2-07: 7lb 3 oz, 20" length, 13" HC
    1 month 11-30-07: 9lb 5 oz, 21.5" length, 13.5" HC
    2 month 01-07-08: 11lb 11oz, 24.5" length, 16.5" HC
    4 month 03-03-08: 13lb 4oz, 24.5" length, 16.5" HC
    6 month 04-25-08: 13lb 4oz, 24.5" length, 16.5" HC
    7 month 05-28-08: 14lb 3oz, 25" length, 16.5" HC
    9 month 07-21-08: 15lb 7oz, 25.25" length, 16.5" HC
    10 month 09-02-08: 15lb 4oz, 25.25" lenght, 16.5" HC

Her height is horizontal crossing all percentiles and off the growth charts - WHO for breastfed babies & CDC charts.

Secondly, can anyone tell me anything about head circumference growth? The doc said that her soft spot is beginning to close which means her bones are fusing. If her her head isn't growing and the bones fuse, could this mean her brain won't grow?

Now for our nursing schedule (not really a schedule, she is still on demand but this is a typical day):

6:30 am wake & nurse both side back down for nap until 7:30
    9:00 am nurse both sides & 1/2 cup cheerios or yogurt
    12:30-1 nurse both sides
    2:00 nurse both sides nap for about 1.5 hours
    4:00 nurse both sides
    6:00 dinner - whatever we are eating about 1 cup food; nurse both sides
    8:00 nurse both sides
    10:30 pump for 20 minutes (get about 1 oz out of both)

She will wake occasionally in the middle of the night and nurse both sides. I'm at a loss.

Default Re: Talk to me about height growth

I would wonder if one of those height readings was wrong...say, the initial 24.5. My baby didn't hit that until 4 months, and she was about 20.5" at birth. I can't say much about the latter months, as I'm not there yet...but I thought that 3" from 1 to 2 mos seemed like quite a jump. (Compared to my great sample size of one! )

It does sound like she's nursing really well. That doesn't seem to be the problem! Good diaper output?

I'm wondering is she meeting milestones? Seem alert, active?
    Was it the same person doing measurements? Anyway they could be off at all?

What does pediatrician think about the height/head growth? Cause for further testing, wait and see?

This is outside the scope of my expertise as a Leader, although if you want to private message me I can see about getting this to my Professional Liaison. Or if you'd rather work with someone local to you - you can contact your local Leader.

Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I would wonder if one of those height readings was wrong...say, the initial 24.5.
    That is what was initially thought because she had been doing so well up to the 4 month point. Ped says that they might have been overzealous in the the 2 month measurement.

Good diaper output?

I'm wondering is she meeting milestones? Seem alert, active?
    Was it the same person doing measurements? Anyway they could be off at all?

What does pediatrician think about the height/head growth? Cause for further testing, wait and see?

This is outside the scope of my expertise as a Leader, although if you want to private message me I can see about getting this to my Professional Liaison. Or if you'd rather work with someone local to you - you can contact your local Leader.
    Good diapers - she has about 4-6 wet diapers and normal stooling patterns. She is a very happy baby and is meeting all of her milestones.

It is the same person doing the measurements, but the nurse does stretch her and shrink her from time to time. The 25.25 measurement at 9 months is by the endocrinologist on a length board. We went for the 10 month check up and the nurse got her at 25" (laying her out on the paper and measuring between the marks.)

Ped definitely wants more testing (we've already done the GI route). I've talked with my local leader and she is at a loss also. If you don't mind, I would love to PM you and see what your Liasion can tell me about the length/HC growth.