Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Help

Default Need Help

With my son who is now just over 2, I only nursed him for 1 month and during that month I also gave him formula at times. With my daughter who is now 6 weeks, I have been just nursing her. When she was 2 weeks she got thrush and that caused problems but we stuck with it and then the meds she was on caused crazy gas but I stuck with it and now she is growing .... I THINK ... and I am going crazy!!! I went and bought some formula tonight as I needed a break. She is drinking and my milk comes down very fast so it never takes long to feed and because she is so use to the fast milk she is getting really mad that the milk that is left in my "empty" breasts comes out so slowly. She is biting down and twisting and screaming. I want to stick with it and not do the formula but I need some help here. My husband is feeling her formula now and she is still crying so maybe that is not it. I have given her oval as well as tylenol thinking she was in pain. She sleeps at night from 10/11 - 5:30 but during the day not at all really. Just 2 minute cat naps. Is she over tired.
    Anyone who can help would be great!!!

Jen

Default Re: Need Help

At six weeks, I'm surprised she's sleeping as long as she is at night!!

At six weeks, it's definitely time for a growth spurt...so that may very well be why she's fussing so much right now. It won't take long for your supply to catch up with her demand, so long as you do let her nurse and don't offer formula.

I know, it's SO hard to stay away from it, because it's SO rough during these first few weeks (and we had a really rough start, so I do understand the urge to whip out that bottle). But it's really important you try to stick to exclusive breastfeeding. Offering formula during a growth spurt will only prolong or worsen supply issues. This is because formula takes longer to digest, so she won't be cueing to feed as often as she should in order to tell your body to increase your supply.

Something you can try is doing breast compressions to encourage your milk to flow more quickly when she's fussing like that. Instructions here.

I have to say, those first eight weeks are the hardest. Once we got through those, breastfeeding became SO much easier. During those first two months, I remember thinking "I can't WAIT until he's ready to wean." Things changed and got so much easier, so that when it did come time to start offering solids, I was actually thinking "man...solids seem like so much work!" and "I'm so glad I haven't had bottles to deal with!" Seriously, it DOES get easier.

If there's a La Leche League group in your area, attending a meeting can be SO helpful. I really credit my group with our breastfeeding success. Like I said, we had a really rough start (first he wouldn't latch at all, then the latch was terrible, complete with cracked and bleeding nipples, recurring blocked ducts, etc.), and there were times when I nearly quit. But with the support and advice I got from my group, we're still nursing, and he's just three weeks away from being a year old!!

I encourage you to read these articles...stuff like this saved my sanity, let me tell you:

Fussing at the Breast
    What to expect in the early weeks
    Growth Spurts
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Biting down, twisting and screaming doesn't sound like a hungry baby to me. Sounds more like a tummy issue.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

It sounds like it may be more than hunger, like pp mentioned. The fact that she is acting the same with formula confirms that it isn't your breast she is having an issue with. What is her diaper out put (wet and BM)? What is your nursing pattern look like in a 24 hour period? That will help get a better idea of what could be the issue. I do agree with the first post about the formula could make things worse and not better so hold off if you can. I know it is hard because you need a break. Take a walk and let hubby take over for 30minutes so you can think. Do you consume a lot of diary?
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work