Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast feeding and immunity - please help!

Exclamation Breast feeding and immunity - please help!

I am breast feeding my 9 week old and I also have a toddler at home. (he doesn't bf). I am confused about immunity. I thought that b/c I was bf the infant she would basically be immune to whatever illnesses, viruses, etc. I had or was exposed to - but we have all passed around a minor virus - and our toddler came home from daycare last week with a small cold (gotta love daycare! ) and now our infant is under the weather. Why? Do I have my info. wrong? Or does it just not always work that way? Anyone have a link or good info. about this? I'm so sad and frustrated that my lo is not feeling well.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Breast feeding and immunity - please help!

Basically - breastfeeding offers lots of "aid" to their little systems, they get some from what was passed in utero (for a few months) then what is passed via BM throughout the nursing relationship. Immunity does not equal 100% protection... but it certainly lessens the severity of most things they'll come in contact with.

THis link and this one offers more info
    Last edited by @llli*number3; September 2nd, 2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: Breast feeding and immunity - please help!

Thank-you!