Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 nap or 2

Default 1 nap or 2

Just curious when you all made the switch?
    dd is 15 months and we are thinking about trying 1 nap. I tryed it at 12 months and it didn't work. She still seems to be tired 2 times a day but if I plop her in the crib she playes/whines etc for about 20 min + before falling alseep.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Default Re: 1 nap or 2

Well, for us, it was DD that made the switch...at 12 mos. I would have loved to have kept that 2nd nap for longer. Now she goes down anywhere from 11-1 (can't find a consistent time no matter what time she wakes up in the morning) and naps for about 2 hrs (sometimes 3!!!). Bedtime is still 7/7:30.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

DD made the switch from 11-16 months (yes, it took THAT long for her to transition). During that time, she would switch back and forth every few days. I just followed her lead. But there are some mamas on here whose LOs made the switch suddenly, and as early as 10-11 mos. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmama2 View Post
    dd is 15 months and we are thinking about trying 1 nap. I tryed it at 12 months and it didn't work. She still seems to be tired 2 times a day but if I plop her in the crib she playes/whines etc for about 20 min + before falling alseep.
    We never made the switch for our boys. We let them make the switch. It just happened naturally. We've never scheduled their naps though. We've always payed more attention to their cues that they were getting tired and ready for a nap, no matter what time it was. As time went by, and they naturally were more wakeful during the time when they would've been napping previously, they just normally started to push their naps later and later in the day until all they were only napping once a day.

In your case, if she seems to be tired, then help her take a nap. Though you could try just waiting another 20 minutes before you put her down for her nap to see if that will eliminate some of the play/whine time before she's able to fall asleep. Honestly though, 20 minutes is pretty good for being able to put yourself to sleep.

For us it happened pretty naturally at around 13.5 months. (DS is 15 MO now) It's nice he goes down for 2-3 hours in the middle of the day and I can catch up on things.

However, occasionally he gets 2 naps I follow his lead. If he get up super early in the AM I know he's going to need a morning nap so I let him have it. Then in the early evening he takes a 30 minute power nap and is g2g until dinner and bedtime.

The days we do 2 naps it's harder all around though, 1 nap is working much better for him.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Lo is making the switch now, the past few days. She is almost 16 months and it is going ok for the most part, as long as she sleeps long enough we are good.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmama2 View Post
    Try to hold on to the second nap as long as you can! Since she is falling asleep eventually, let her keep that later nap. When she plays/chatters the whole time on a consistent basis, then it'll be time to give it up. Or when she's having a difficult time going down at night for bed because her afternoon nap, that may be a sign too.

All in all, 2 to 3 hours of daytime sleep and about 10.5 to 11.5 hours at night is good for a 15mo. Between 12 and 21 months is when children typically give up that second nap. That's a big range, so just follow her lead as the pp's said.

IME, ds's dcp tried to force him in to a one-nap schedule before he was ready and it was hell. Needless to say, we found other care that was child-centered and now he is back to two happy naps a day. He'll be 16 mo this month.

HTH
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*apron.strings View Post
    IME, ds's dcp tried to force him in to a one-nap schedule before he was ready and it was hell. Needless to say, we found other care that was child-centered and now he is back to two happy naps a day. He'll be 16 mo this month.

Thank goodness you found other care. That's just insane though...why would the dcp WANT to make work harder for herself? I mean, I still wish both kids took 2 naps! And they're 5.5 and 2.5 It was nice when I got 2 breathers during the day!

My guy took 2 naps until about 20 months, and now at 22 months he still needs 2 naps on some days (maybe once every couple weeks)...today for example. Most of the time he sleeps from about 11:00-1:00. Today he slept from 8:30-9:30, and then from 1:30-3:30. He really needed a "catch-up" on sleep day. At night he sleeps from 7:30ish until about 6:00am...

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Thanks for all your replies. I guess we can sort of play it by ear.. day by day. I sort of like having a set routine because its easier to plan stuff. But it seems we will go back and forth depending on the day.Today she slept from 11-1230 and was tired again by 3pmish. She didn't take a second nap because we were at a friend's house but she was ready for bed by 5 pm... We held her off till 6 pm.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!