Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ready to give up

Default Re: Ready to give up

Hi there,
    I have had some issues like this. I have had OALD and OS. Sometimes when LO was smaller, he would pull off and cry because he needed to burp? Do you give gas drops on a regular basis? This helped with my LO, and I did it at every feed. He spits up a little off and on all the time and is almost 7 months. Even with OALD somewhat under control they can swallow a lot of air. Also I think my LO is teething, and this has made it worse, sometimes I rub his gums, then try nursing him. Sometimes it helps. Sometimes when he was smaller, I could hear stuff backing up into his throat, and he would gag like he was going to throw up. I think that was effects of OALD, even when I had it more under control. It can seem a lot like reflux. This got better the older he became.

One MAJOR thing that happened with us was that lo wanted to comfort nurse and couldn't, because he would be drowned with milk. He would cry and cry, nurse and cry. I finally found a paci he liked, and helped tremoundously! (MAM) Is little one gaining well? How does LO handle the bottle, you said other caretaker was having issues feeding also?
    Proud Mommy of Zachary Patrick 02/11/08
    1 month
    2 months
    3 months
    4 months
    5 months
    6 months

Overcame relactation, started EBM in bottle at 3 1/2 weeks, and started nursing at 10 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kiwimum View Post

Did anyone whose baby was doing this pulling off and screaming when feeding find out that it was because of reflux?

we had reflux and OALD

What makes you feel part of the issue isn't OALD?

And I saw someone else asked about the block feeding thing... I'll just second that question and say for use it took weeks to fully remedy most of the issue.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*arctic.tern View Post
    Sounds like it could be reflux - as pp said, keep digging for info and try not to give up! My DS (now 12 wks) was put on Zantac for reflux at 3 wks and it seemed to help. His main two symptoms were forceful spit-up and arching/fussing as the feeding progressed. He still spits up but not forcefully (so it's considered a laundry problem, not a medical one), and his fussiness during feedings got better. Symptoms vary for different babies, and some people think reflux is being overdiagnosed... but I think it's worthwhile to look into!!

A note about block feeding... I don't want to confuse or frustrate you, but if it's reflux that could make it worse. Shorter and more frequent feeding sessions are recommended for reflux, since the acid is more likely to back up into the esophagus when the tummy is really full. Making the nursing sessions more discrete in time was one of the things that helped us. Just something to keep in mind!
    I read kellymom.com about reflux and it may be what's going on. I've been block feeding to regulate my supply and it's gotten way better. I'm not sure what to do now then.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

Hi there,
    I have had some issues like this. I have had OALD and OS. Sometimes when LO was smaller, he would pull off and cry because he needed to burp? Do you give gas drops on a regular basis?
    I used to give my DD mylicon drops and gripe water to treat the gassiness she had as a result of my f/hmilk imbalance. I haven't given it to her lately.

I finally found a paci he liked, and helped tremoundously! (MAM) Is little one gaining well? How does LO handle the bottle, you said other caretaker was having issues feeding also?
    My DD won't take a paci. IDK why but she spits it out every time. I've tried all kinds of pacis and she won't take them. She's gaining well.
    DCp has had problems with feeding her too. Although today she said she drank her bottles of EBM without incident.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

I have been doing block feeding for about a week now. She normally only feeds every 2 1/2 - 3 hours during the day on demand, so there was already a 5 - 6 hour gap between sides to start with. So I increased it to a 8 - 9 hour gap between sides. My breasts don't feel that full when I do this either.

I thought from what I had read to have OALD, that at the beginning of a feed, if you took your baby off your breast your milk would spray into a cloth, which doesn't happen to me. I just seem to have one very strong spray throughout the feeding. If I squeeze my breast I can see this spray squirt out quite far.

I have also tried pumping previously and I only can pump 3oz in 40 minutes from one side. So this can't be oversupply can it?

I am just worried also that if it isn't OALD that I will be making the problem worse by blockfeeding.

I have tried various medicines for gas, even drops prescribed by the doctor, but these don't seem to make any difference. I persisted with these for more than 2 weeks too.

This morning I was nursing her when she had just woken up, which was fine (though she only sucked every few seconds because she was so sleepy). Until she did wake up after about 5 minutes and then she just didn't want to nurse any longer, she just pushed away from me crying and I couldn't feed her anymore.

Her weight is just under average. She was 7.5 lbs when born, 7 lb at one week, 8.8 lb at 1 month, 10.7 lb at 2 months and 11.7 lb at 3 months. The pediatrician we saw last month was concerned with her weight.

I am going to see another pediatrician today to see what they have to say, so I will let you know.

"Under average" isn't inherently bad mama there is a wide array of growth for each individual baby and they all grow at different rates. Not all babys are going to be at the "top" of any growth chart, because if they were, they'd just have to shift the growth chart "up" and then you'd still have to plot some children at the tippy top, middle and bottom. Doesn't mean its a unhealthy child that is at the 'bottom' especially if said child has stayed consistant (and doesn't have a serious issue)

Also - the amount one pumps isn't always an indication of much other than what's in a bottle. Many women with OS can't pump much, if anything - while others that don't have OS are pumping masters!

I'm sorry the doc expressesd concern with your babys weight as it seems fine based on the info in the following link - Your child is growing and gaining... you can read more about growth patterns and charting here

Have you called a leader???
    Last edited by @llli*number3; September 2nd, 2008 at 07:40 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

This is what happened today (sorry about the long story): I went to see another pediatrician and she said it could be due to the nursing positioning I was using, as she might be pulling off and fussing becasue she is uncomfortable, so I was to try other nursing positions (I currently only do the football hold). She also said to maybe wait until my baby was really hungry before feeding her i.e. crying.

So I went home and tried other nursing positions, but I had no luck with this, she still pulled off and started screaming and after several attempts to relatch her I gave up.

She was having 5 wet diapers each day but today she had only had 1 wet diaper from 1 - 8 pm since I started following the doctors advice.

Tonight, I did wait until she was really hungry and crying before I fed her and I did manage to nurse for 10 minutes. Though after 10 minutes she began to pull off and fuss again so I burped her. This caused her to start crying and then I was unable to feed her any longer as she pulling off after only a few seconds on the breast.

I then tried a bottle of EBM. Initially she resisted this for 6 or so attempts but eventually I managed to feed her the whole bottle apart from the last little bit, as she started to fuss again.

Did anyone whose baby was doing this pulling off and screaming when feeding find out that it was because of reflux?
    Yes, this was my DD to a "T." Our pedi treated her for reflux, even though she didn't really spit up very much. Our pedi's logic was "It can't hurt anything to treat for reflux, so if the medicine helps then we'll know that it's reflux causing her problems." Anyway, initially my DD was on Zantac which didn't work, and she ended up being on generic Prilosec (which is Omeprazole) until she was 6 months old and outgrew the reflux. You should know that Prilosec/Omeprazole in liquid form can only be found at a "compounding pharmacy." Since you're in Beijing, China, I'm not sure what you have there, but here in the US we got our DD's prescription filled at "The Medicine Shoppe." Places like Walmart and Target couldn't fill her script...

She also said to maybe wait until my baby was really hungry before feeding her i.e. crying.

Tonight, I did wait until she was really hungry and crying before I fed her and I did manage to nurse for 10 minutes. Though after 10 minutes she began to pull off and fuss again so I burped her. This caused her to start crying and then I was unable to feed her any longer as she pulling off after only a few seconds on the breast.
    I would not recommend waiting until baby is ravenous and starving to try and put her to your breast. Then she's not only hungry, she's angry because she's had to wait so long. I remember when my DD would fuss, I would have to calm her down and get her almost to sleep before slipping my breast in her mouth.

Something else you might consider... I know when the babies get to be a couple months old, they get really efficient at removing the milk very fast. When I would start a feeding with my DD, she would usually nurse for 3-5 minutes maximum, and would start screaming. Turns out, she was just very good at removing milk and she is not a "comfort" nurser, so she was fussing because I was still trying to offer her my breast and she was finished. When this happened I would tell her as I'm putting my breast away, "That's ok honey, you can be all done... we can try again in a little bit if you're still hungry." To this day (LO is 11 months) she is not a comfort nurser, and once she's done nursing, she's done and there's no convincing her to nurse any more.

Here's another technique I used to get through the "fussy feedings..." My DD would nurse pretty well when she was just waking up from sleep. Nighttime nursings were no problem cause she was still so groggy... During the day, I would stalk her while she napped, and as soon as she started to stir I would snatch her up and pop my breast into her mouth. Even my DH was aware how well this worked, and he would say, "The baby's starting to stir, you wanna feed her??"

One more thing I tried, which was difficult, but worked sometimes... I would nurse my DD while I was standing up, holding her in the cradle position and bouncing/swaying/gently swinging her. The movement seemed to help calm her down enough to get her to nurse.

Also, you might consider nursing your LO in a dimly lit room, with some "white noise" in the background, like a fan running on medium or high speed? This helps us too...

HTH mama... good luck!

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Thank you so much for your advice. It made me feel so much better when I read it as I was really feeling like giving up. I will try out your suggestions today.

I have found that the only way I can feed her without her pulling off and eventually screaming is to feed her when she sleepy.

You don't get the Western standard of advice when you go to see a pediatrician here and they apparently don't even have Zantac, as there are a lot of restrictions of what medicine can be brought into the country. We are leaving in 2 weeks time, so hopefully we can get some of the medicine you suggested in New Zealand or Switzerland where we are moving to next.

Good luck Mama. You might be able to find a leader for some help too.

I've heard that the white noise thing works for some babies.

I feel like this is reflux but you aren't getting much help from the doc's where you are. Hopefully you can get it resoved quickly. Just know that you are doing the best thing for your baby. Don't give up.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.