Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ready to give up

Default Ready to give up

I feel like I am just about ready to give up. Every time I feed my little girl she pulls off and screams at me after feeding her for just a few minutes. The only time I can feed her for longer is if she is half asleep and then she only sucks a little bit, as she is really sleepy.
    I have received advice on previous threads that it could be OALD and/or oversupply, but I don't think this is the case now, as I have tried everything suggested. Block feeding for up to nine hours, feeding her lying down, leaning back etc. But nothing makes feeding her any easier. My milk doesn't spray out everywhere if I pull off when she starts screaming as suggested, so I don't think it can be OALD.
    Could it be this silent reflux that I have heard about? She does spit up a little milk nearly every feed.
    Does anyone have any ideas? as I just want my little girl to be happy.

Default Re: Ready to give up

The discomfort she is feeling could certainly be reflux- they don't have to spit up (much or at all) to have reflux. I would have your doctor check things out- it's better to deal with it asap then to have her 'learn' that nursing is painful. Good luck!
    Mom to Charlie~ who just took his first steps at 10 3/4 months!
    9lbs 9oz and 22" at birth
    1wk: 9lbs 9.8oz
    7wks: 13lbs 6oz and 25"!
    5 months 2 weeks: 22lbs and 30 inches
    10 months 2 weeks: 27lbs and 33 inches

I know what you're going through! My little guy just stopped doing that not too long ago. How old is your daughter? I think for my son it was his teeth. He starting doing it when his bottom teeth cut through and continued to do it until both teeth were all the way out.
    The only way I could get him to nurse while this was happening was to lay down in my bed.
    I hope for your case that it is something as simple as this.
    Good luck!

PS I was feeling like giving up while this was happening as I ended up with two clogged ducts and mastitis. Thank God for antibiotics.
    [/SIGPIC]Happy to be home for a year with sons: Colby-Jan 12/99 and Spencer-Feb 20/08

She will be 15 weeks old this Friday. I have tried lying down to feed but she still resists and then pulls off with a big red face. To be honest I don't find the lying position very easy either. I usually do the football hold.

Did anyone whose baby was doing this pulling off and screaming when feeding find out that it was because of reflux?

I am going to a new pediatrician tomorrow to see what they think this feeding problem is due to. Though last time I asked a pediatrician about this he thought it because her iron count was low. It is quite difficult to get good pediatric advice as I live in Beijing, China.

My DD is doing this. I don't have any advice but I'm curious what others have to say. The only time i can nurse her is when she's falling asleep. Otherwise, she's fussy at the breast, crying and screaming and sucking on her hands ferociously. I think she's teething but I'm not sure. She does this only during the day not at night. She still wakes up every 3 hours at night to nurse and she has no issues (probably because she's half asleep) but during the day she goes like 6 to 7 hours without wanting to nurse! I'm just so confused as to why she started doing this all of a sudden. She used to love to nurse often. Now I have to almost force her to nurse. My nipples are so sore from her sucking and pulling off constantly during these episodes! I have resorted to using lanolin again and I hate that because it stained all my clothes early on!

My mom tells me that she may not like my BM anymore but I tasted it and it tastes fine. If anyone here knows what is going on with our LOs please chime in!

BTW-I did have OS but block feeding has regulated that. I do have some OALD still but I pop off during the letdown. She didn't have issues before when I had OS/OALD so not sure why she would be having a problem now.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

It sounds like you are experiencing the same problem with nursing your baby as me and they are around the same age too. How long ago did she start doing this? My daughter was pretty much fine nursing during the day up until she was 8 weeks and it has gradually got worse since then. I just fed her now (it is 11 pm at night here in Beijing) and she fed no problem at all for 12 minutes, though she was very sleepy.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kiwimum View Post
    It sounds like you are experiencing the same problem with nursing your baby as me and they are around the same age too. How long ago did she start doing this? My daughter was pretty much fine nursing during the day up until she was 8 weeks and it has gradually got worse since then. I just fed her now (it is 11 pm at night here in Beijing) and she fed no problem at all for 12 minutes, though she was very sleepy.
    It has been about 2 weeks now since she's been doing this. She is bottle fed with EBM by my DCp and she does this with the bottle too. My mom, who cares for her during the day, says she struggles to feed her during the day. I struggled all this weekend to nurse her during the day. I've had to pump during the day so that this "nursing strike" doesn't affect my supply. I was unable to do anything this weekend because I was struggling with a fussy baby and trying to get her to nurse! I'm at my wits end and am so confused about what's going on.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

Have you guys seen this link?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kiwimum View Post
    Block feeding for up to nine hours, feeding her lying down, leaning back etc.
    When you mean block feeding for 9 hours, do you mean you tried block feeding for 9 hours or you were 9 hours on one breast, 9 hours on the other?

Block feeding can take some time, you might have to do it for a week to see a difference. Usually a 2-3 hour block is something you start with, so offer right side only for 2 hours. Then at the end of that offer the left side (how ever much she wants to nurse) for 2 hours.
    You might find that block feeding is just how you'll nurse, and will always do it until your LO is older.

Oh I wanted to say, please don't give up!!

If it is reflux then bottle/pumping/formula probably won't make it better, might just make it worse! Keep digging to see what is going on, I PROMISE you will not regret it!

Sounds like it could be reflux - as pp said, keep digging for info and try not to give up! My DS (now 12 wks) was put on Zantac for reflux at 3 wks and it seemed to help. His main two symptoms were forceful spit-up and arching/fussing as the feeding progressed. He still spits up but not forcefully (so it's considered a laundry problem, not a medical one), and his fussiness during feedings got better. Symptoms vary for different babies, and some people think reflux is being overdiagnosed... but I think it's worthwhile to look into!!

A note about block feeding... I don't want to confuse or frustrate you, but if it's reflux that could make it worse. Shorter and more frequent feeding sessions are recommended for reflux, since the acid is more likely to back up into the esophagus when the tummy is really full. Making the nursing sessions more discrete in time was one of the things that helped us. Just something to keep in mind!