Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: spoon feeding??? and cereal???

Question spoon feeding??? and cereal???

hi all! i have tickets to see keith urban on the 24th- had them since i was prego and i really want to go. DD is still not taking a bottle and the sippy cups are not a big hit w/ her either. i will need to leave my house around 6 to get there by 7:30 and am expecting to return around 11-11:30. i know it is going to be a long exhausting night for her and DH, but i haven't ventured out on my own in 3 months and am really looking forward to a well deserved night out. i just don't want to compromise her in order to do so. i had her at her ped yesterday and asked what she thought and she advised warm breastmilk in a bowl and spoon feed w/ a little cereal. cereal??? i'm not so crazy about the cereal idea, but what about the spoon feeding? has anyone tried to spoon feed a 3 mo old? i am worried about her choking and also how much milk to give her since i have no clue how much she gets at the breast. any thoughts on this?? thanks.

Default Re: spoon feeding??? and cereal???

I wouldn't give her cereal either. Can't he just try spoon feeding her BM alone? Has DH tried to give her a cup or bottle when you are not home? My DS2 will only take it if I'm nowhere to be found.

oh yes, we've tried it all! she knows how, she just refuses! she holds out cuz she knows if she refuses i will give in and nurse her. she will take like 1/2 to 1 oz of EBM sometimes but not usually. once my SIL gave her 3 oz and she drained it all w/ me sitting right there. sometimes i pick her up when she is sleeping and give her 2 oz and she takes it like a champ w/out even waking, so i know she can take a bottle, she just won't. she's calling the shots already! that was my plan was to spoon feed her BM alone, i was just surprised that her ped recommended cereal already. i just wondered if anyone was successful w/ spoon feeding this young.

Even tiny newborns can be spoon or cup fed.

Maybe take a trial run and see if your dd would be interested in the spoon? You could use warm milk, or even frozen milk. Some babies LOVE breastmilk slushies.

The AAP recommends that babies start solids about the middle of the first year.