Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My left breast has dried up!

Exclamation My left breast has dried up!

I have a 10 3/4 month little boy, and I plan on nursing for one year. He is 27.5 lbs, and 33" tall- a big boy!! And he has never had anything but breastmilk and water (and, of course, solids), and won't take anything but water from a cup (never liked bottles!). He nurses about 4 times a day, though only 2 "big" nursings (early morning and last feeding before bed). That said...

I just finished my first period (which was awful!!), and now it seems that the milk in my left breast is completely gone. This has been going on for about 3 days now, and even though I continue to have him nurse on that side, he loses interest quickly as I am practically dry. My right side gets practically engorged now, as it's doing most of the work.

Help! What is going on?? Should I just keep nursing on the right, as it's not too much longer before I'm weaning him? I am determined to make it to one year- a biting baby and an annoying mother-in-law haven't stopped me yet! Is my body telling me that enough is enough?
    Mom to Charlie~ who just took his first steps at 10 3/4 months!
    9lbs 9oz and 22" at birth
    1wk: 9lbs 9.8oz
    7wks: 13lbs 6oz and 25"!
    5 months 2 weeks: 22lbs and 30 inches
    10 months 2 weeks: 27lbs and 33 inches

Default Re: My left breast has dried up!

My left side has always produced less, and just recently (DD is 8 months) it has almost stopped producing entirely. DD refuses to nurse on it except for what I call "novelty" nursings - she will sit on my lap and lunge toward it, but not really do any active nursings. So, she has been pretty much exclusively nursing on the right side for about a month. I haven't noticed any shortage of supply and I intend to keep it up for a lot longer!

If you were really concerned you could try some different things to increase supply on that side, but I don't plan on it at this point.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

He has always been a strong nurser on both sides- this "dry up" is not a result of HIS nursing habits, but of MY body. So strange!
    Mom to Charlie~ who just took his first steps at 10 3/4 months!
    9lbs 9oz and 22" at birth
    1wk: 9lbs 9.8oz
    7wks: 13lbs 6oz and 25"!
    5 months 2 weeks: 22lbs and 30 inches
    10 months 2 weeks: 27lbs and 33 inches

I'd say as long as you have enough milk it should be fine. I'd start him out on the left side & when he loses interest you can switch him to the right. That's what I do, my left has always produced less. It is a little odd that this happened despite his nursing habits, but I wouldn't think it's anything to worry about. Maybe ask your doc next time you go in.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*JGM View Post
    He has always been a strong nurser on both sides- this "dry up" is not a result of HIS nursing habits, but of MY body. So strange!
    Since you say he's always nursed well on both sides, then it might be something you'd want to discuss with your doctor. It's normal for supply to dip the first few days of your period, but it should return, and afaik, there's no normal reason for breastmilk to just disappear from one breast. Normally everything works by supply and demand, and if baby is nursing, then there's milk that's being made.

I'm sure your right side will be able to keep up with the supply, but I'd want to know why the left side stopped suddenly if it were me. It could be a health issue.