Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feeding efficiency at 12 weeks

Default feeding efficiency at 12 weeks

Looking for some advice from those of you with older infants... my DS (now 12 weeks) has always been an "inefficient" feeder. He typically takes an hour to nurse (sometimes more), and though sometimes he goes into "comfort sucking" mode, he is often productively sucking for a long time. He also nurses very frequently during the day, so that I often only have a half-hour from the end of one feeding to the next (getting an hour in between is cause for excitement). He does feed less frequently at night, so I have been able to get better sleep for the past month or so, and I do treasure the closeness we have because I know someday I will miss it. But, I am starting to get worried because I have to go back to work next week - fortunately I work from home, and I have figured out how to do a lot of things on the computer one-handed... but it will still be very hard to be productive I think (considering he doesn't nap either!). I'm just wondering if others had newborns that were similarly inefficient, at what age did you notice that they needed less time to get their fill? He also has torticollis (tight neck muscles which also affect his mouth), to which I attribute some of his inefficiency, but I'm trying to get a sense of whether his feeding duration is also just due to normal variation and that it will improve with age, or is it a problem I should be trying to "fix"?

Default Re: feeding efficiency at 12 weeks

Mine was about a 40-minute feeder and she would eat at least every 2 hours. So, not as long of sessions as yours. I noticed around 4MO that DD became more efficient. It was around the time she became quite aware and curious about everything around her. I can't say that she went a whole lot longer between nursing sessions, but the sessions themselves cut drastically to maybe 10-15 minutes. I think that is about the age that a lot of moms notice a cut in the length of the nursing sessions.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Smile Re: feeding efficiency at 12 weeks

I remember thinking to myself when I breastfed my DD that I didn't know how long I would be able to endure our hour-long nursing sessions and then all of a sudden...overnight, really...she went from taking an hour to taking 5-10 minutes! It freaked me out at first, but she just figured it out. I also had a lot of discomfort and pain when nursing her and that got a LOT better after she "figured it all out". I am now nursing my DS (3 1/2 months old) and my previous experience with DD is helping me to wait until he figures things out too. I hope that helps!