Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not pooping....

Red face Not pooping....

Hi Mommies! I'm looking for some suggestions:

I know I have read on here and have heard before that sometimes babies can go very long periods without having bmvts but I thought that was when they are only bfing. My DS is now 6.5 months and has gone as long as 7 days without. He is on solids and I was thinking that could be the reason.
    I've seen two dr.s about this because he went through a rough week with lots and lots of crying several days in a row. This is totally not like him. He is generally good natured.
    So one dr. told me to give him glycerine supositories so I did-twice and it worked both times but my regular physician told me to stop b/c she doesn't want him to get lazy bowels.
    I have been giving him baby prunes, tried prune juice, and even stopped giving him cereal for a few days thinking he was getting too much iron.
    He has horrible smelling farts for days at a time before actually pooping!
    He is still nursing about 6-10 times in a 24 hours period and I haven't changed my diet recently. This "constipation" period has been going on for about 3 weeks now. He's been on solids for about a month and a half and was pooping regularly (2-4 times a day) up until three weeks ago.

Has anyone had something similar happen? Any suggestions of what I can give him, or eliminate from his (or my) diet to get his little bum on track again. I wouldn't be worried if he didn't seem to be bothered by this.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by @llli*2xmom; September 1st, 2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    [/SIGPIC]Happy to be home for a year with sons: Colby-Jan 12/99 and Spencer-Feb 20/08

Default Re: Not pooping....

I would try stopping the cereal all together (he doesn't need it anyway) and other "binding" foods like bananas, cheese, white bread/pasta. I would also back off on lots of different solids - maybe something you've introduced doesn't agree with him. Start offering just a few of the ones you started with and know don't bother him.
    Try oatmeal (real oatmeal not the baby cereal). My DD really loved oatmeal with fruit. You can mix it with breast milk.
    Give him lots of veggies and fruits. Babies really like watermelon and it's got lots of liquid.
    This can be normal. Some babies just go through phases as their digestive track matures.
    What is his poop like when he does go? Is it firm and dry? That would indicate constipation.
    If it's still pretty loose and yellow with the solid food chunks, then he's probably not constipated, but just adjusting to a new schedule.
    Erin
    Mom to Laura (3/1/06)

I have a few questions

What kind of solids is he getting? It may be more about eliminating those as opposed to something from diet at this point. Seems like his body isn't reacting well to the solids.

Also - when he does go (without help) what do the poops generally look like?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

He is getting about 1-1.5 tsp of rice or oatmeal cereal in the morning mixed with BM. I make sure it is very milky and not thick. He has also been introduced to carrots, squash, pears, prunes. They have all been spaced out 4 days between and for the first bit, like I said, he was pooping regularly.
    When he does go, it is loose but thick and not chunky at all. It does still smell like it did when he was only BFing. (That sweet smell) He hasn't been given any 'real' food, only the beginners bottled food.
    [/SIGPIC]Happy to be home for a year with sons: Colby-Jan 12/99 and Spencer-Feb 20/08

It sounds like the only "binding" food that's giving him a problem could be the cereal.
    I would try just regular oatmeal. The whole grain and fiber will help get him going.
    And since his poop is still loose, he's probably not actually constipated, but just adjusting to new foods and a new pooping schedule.
    Or you could try cutting out the solids and seeing if that makes a difference. Lot's of babies are exclusively breastfed to 9 or 12 months, so he won't be starving. Maybe his system just isn't ready for solids?
    A constipated baby's poop is hard, dry, very difficult to pass.
    Erin
    Mom to Laura (3/1/06)

I thought constipated meant hard poops as well but three different doctors have called it constipation for various reasons. I'm not sure what else to call it.
    I did take him off solids when he went 7 days without and the only reason he did poop was because a nurse at the emergency room checked him temp rectally. It's like its right 'there', he just hasn't been pushing hard enough or something.
    He did finally poop today and yesterday. Now I'm wondering what I did differently (if anything) and how to prevent this from becoming a regular occurance!
    I did make sure that his cereal was more milk than cereal so its very 'liquidy' and I noticed the pears that he loves so much has as much fibre as prunes.

I'm hoping whatever it was is over!

By the way, I was going to wait to give him solids because I totally believe in holding off as long as possible but he is quite a big boy with quite a hardy appetite. 6.5 months-21.5 lbs. He loves to eat but won't take milk any way other than from me. He was nursing every hour or hour and a half for several weeks so we thought it was time to start him on solids. He is still nursing at least 8 times in 24 hours but it gives me a bit more freedom just to move around the house than I was having before.

We've had trouble with DD and constipation recently. Her poops have been very dry and hard, and she sometimes strained so hard to pass them that she would spit up a bit. I cut out all cereals and more recently bananas but it took about a week without them to see a difference. Now she is back to every other day or so and the consistency is back to normal.

Oh, and I've heard pears are great for constipation. They didn't offset the cereal in my LO's case though, and neither did prunes.

HTH!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I always use gripe water when my son hasnt pooped in a while. within 5-10 minutes he is farting or pooping. it has worked great for us. i know you can get it at walgreens (around $11 i think) or online at www.puritan.com for about $8 plus s&h. we use it for all kinds of stuff and we love it!! you might want to think about giving it a try
    I'm Jamie, and im Proud to be:
    Carter's SAHM since 11-27-07 and now to Eli too, since 7-25-11
    Cody's Wife since 8-28-08

and and

my healthy boys don't get vaccines