Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Flying and milk storage...

Default Flying and milk storage...

We're going on vacation in a few weeks. We will be going through 3 layovers, in the air for the majority of the day. Flying from 6 a.m. until about 6 p.m. or so. I need to take EBM with me. How do I travel with the milk? It has to be checked with the bags, correct? Will dry ice keep it frozen until I get there and get it into the freezer where we're staying? I realize the risks involved in putting my EBM on an airplane, as there is a chance it could get lost somehow and never seen again. I just need to know how to transport it and keep it frozen, because while it will all get used while we're there, we're going to be there for 7 days, and I know thawed BM needs to be used right away.

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Default Re: Flying and milk storage...

Hi,
    I'm taking my 6m old on a 9 hour flight on Friday and thought about taking EBM in bottles. However, I've now decided that I might as well just nurse her so that I don't have to worry about storage.
    My main reason for wanting to take bottles was so that she could have a drink when taking off and landing to hopefully release the pressure in her ears. However, if I'm unable to nurse her during those times then I'm hoping a pacifier will do the job!
    Was there a reason why you wanted to take EBM instead of nursing?
    I'm Tracy. Wife to Jez. Mum to Abigail born 4th March 08 and Harriet 15th July 09
    and loving it. Trying out with new baby - so far so good!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tranmama View Post
    How do I travel with the milk? It has to be checked with the bags, correct?
    There are actually very different rules about what you can take on a plane for your baby.

How much were you planning on taking with you?

Here are some links regarding flying and bring baby stuff...including liquids.

HTH!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I recommend taking your EBM with as a carry-on, so it is always with you. I have had luggage delayed, so I don't check in anything I don't want need right away! :-)

I tried both approaches of keeping my frozen milk frozen and fresh milk cold. Both worked for me:

I packed a little cooler with frozen bags and dry ice wrapped in a layer of paper & plastic bags. This kept the milk frozen for 5 hours (1 hour delay + 3 hour flight + 1 hour drive to destination). I felt like the dry ice would have kept the milk frozen for much longer.

I also took pumped milk from the day before the trip and placed it in a cooler with the regular ice packs to keep it cold. This worked fine for a 5 hour coast to coast flight and 2 hours for baggage claim & driving to destination.

At security I pointed out my cooler and they hand inspected the contents.

Have a great vacation!

yeah, I would suggest you take put it in a carry on. You never know about lost/late luggage. Not to mention, I would feel much safer with it with me. All you have to do is declare it and they wont bother you.

ENJOY!

I am SO glad someone asked this question! I will be flying out of town with DD for the first time next month and have been freezing pumped BM for the occasion. I'll be nursing while we're away, but I want to have EBM on hand because we'll be visiting family that we don't see all that often and I want them to have a chance to feed her. (And also for the trip there...obviously.)

Thanks for the links, nolies.mama!! They're very helpful.

I was going to get angry and write letters to senators or something if BM wasn't allowed through the checkpoint! haha

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!