Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: miserable

Default miserable

Ok, this will be long b/c at the moment I am sooo stressed and have so many different issues going on.

Just started back to school 3 weeks ago, luckily my schedule is great so I can pump fairly easily. But, I can't pump enough so am now supplementing 3 of the 4 bottles dd takes while I'm away. At least we made it to 5 mos. before that!

Now, when I try bfing her, she gets very fussy and pulls away. This often goes on for about 10 minutes before she settles down and eats. B/c she's very small and the ped said we need to make sure she takes in at least 20 oz (which she is solely on the bottles while I"m away), now my dh thinks I don't have enough milk and everytime she gets fussy, he wants to give her a bottle. We've actually had a huge fight over this issue. My theory (and I've looked at kellymom.com too) is that she's fussy b/c she wants a faster letdown. Now I feel all alone b/c I no longer have my supporter. DH thinks I'm being silly and I know he just wants to make sure dd is not hungry, but its not helping me.

On top of it all, we've been dealing with major repairs from Tropical Storm Fay. And not getting much sleep either b/c dd goes to bed late while I have to get up early. She no longer sleeps through the night.

Thanks for letting me vent. Hopefully we'll make everything work out ok soon.

Default Re: miserable

Switch to Breastflow bottles. Your little one will have to work to get anything out. It most closely mimics breastfeeding because she'll have to compress an inner chamber to get a drop out. You can get them at either BabiesRUs or Target.

Here is what they look like.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2793339

It sounds tough mama but you can get through this. First sit down and talk with DH. Explain to him your BFing goals, the research you've done, and tell him you need his support. Sometimes the hubby just doesn't get it.

As far as increasing your supply, have you tried pumping more often? Just adding a session or two could help boost things. Also oatmeal helped me a lot. I would just eat a bowl or two a day and I would notice an increase in my milk. If you are worried about how fussy she gets at the breast waiting for letdown you could pump a little before you put her on the breast just to help you letdown come faster.

It sounds like your doing all right, just need a little help in supply. Hopefully your DH will get behind you again, if not, that's what we're for!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Thanks for your support. I'll try those bottles, and hopefully dh will come around. I know he just wants to make sure dd gets enough milk, but stressing me out isn't the way to do it! He and I have talked, and I've gotten some sleep, so I do feel a little better.

I just wanted to add that I just started giving my second lo breastflow bottles and I LOVE them! My first went through what yours is going through - wanted a faster let down. I didn't know about the breast flow bottles w/ him and I wish I had. Hope everything goes well for you - sorry to hear about all the repairs you have to do. that stinks when you are working full time with an infant. Not getting enough sleep definitely doesn't help. Best of luck!