Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blessed Thistle

Default Re: Blessed Thistle

I still don't smell like maple syrup (I even asked the hubby, lol).

My Fenugreek says 620mg capsules, but I don't know what that is as far as extract vs. powder. I take 3 capsules, 3 times per day, so that's a total of 9 pills. I definitely get the maple syrup smell. Usually I smell it when I pee... Personally, I think you need to up your dosage. I know there are more topics on this website about it, so you can do a search. I'd totally do it for you, but I'm in a bit of a rush!

Thanks for the info! Well the bottle of F I bought was the cheapest one they had (lol) so I went back and looked at different brands. I bought one where it had a higher amt of F in it (don't know off the top of my head) and also said to take 2 capsules 3x a day so I bought that one. When I smell the bottle it does smell like maple syrup - the other didn't! Thanks for the info!

From kellymom.com:

Suggested dosage - Fenugreek

Capsules
    (580-610 mg)
    2-4 capsules, 3 times per day
    6-12 capsules (total) per day

So you can safely take up to 12 capsules per day.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

i haven't tried blessed thistle, but fenugreek has worked wonders for me. i took it for the first time when dd was 4 weeks old (for 2 weeks). now that i'm back at work, i feel that my supply has dwindled a bit, so i'm taking fenugreek again (9 capsules a day), and within 48 hours, i noticed a difference. i take 3 in the morning with breakfast (i eat oatmeal for breakfast and have noticed that's helped too), 3 with lunch, and before my afternoon pump session, i drink the mother's milk tea...and then another 3 capsules of fenugreek with dinner. this regimen has worked out for me. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by robwen
    Yes you can take Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle together. Along with MMTea and try eating oatmeal every morning. Lots of water and etc... If youre diabetic watch for low blood sugars with the Fenugreek. It can cause that. and yeah if you dont smell like a pancake syrup factory youre not taking enough lol...first time i smelled in on my self i was like "what is that" ohhhhh yeah hehe
    I know what you mean! It was even more disconcerting when I smelled it on ds!!

I bought the Solaray brand and I'm taking 8 capsules a day. DH noticed today that I'm smelling like maple syrup, dd doesn't smell like it yet!
    I have noticed a great increase in my supply though, so I'll take the syrupy scent.