Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blessed Thistle

Default Blessed Thistle

Who has tried it and had positive results? Negative side effects? No change at all?
    I'm looking to try it for increase. I've tried Mother's Milk tea and did not notice a change. I'm thinking about trying Fenugreek next if the BT doesn't work.

Default Re: Blessed Thistle

Also, is it okay to take both the F and the BT?

Yes, it's safe to combine the two (Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle), and I've heard that it's even more effective to take them simultaneously.

The tea contains a very weak dosage of both herbs, and is therefore not always very effective in increasing your supply.

Info on Fenugreek:

Fenugreek Seed for Increasing Milk Supply

Blessed Thistle:

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks....html#bthistle

Both herbs are DANGEROUS WHILE PREGNANT.
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; August 8th, 2006 at 06:23 PM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I've been taking fenugreek and it's definitely been working for me. I take it 3 times a day and I've noticed an increase in my milk supply. (I needed more so I could pump as I am preparing to have to leave my dd a few time soon.)
    I'll also warn you about fenugreek because it will make you smell like maple syrup. It's what they use to flavor artificial maple syrup and the smell comes out in sweat. Not really a bad thing. My dh says I smell like the Pancake House

With my first baby I used Blessed Thistle, Fenugreek, and Alfafa, all at the same time. I saw results within like two days, didn't have any side effects except for a maple syrup smell that I attributed to the Fenugreek. Some moms will have effects taking a single herb, others only after taking a combination, I used all three together from the beginning so I can say if they worked by itself for me, except for the Fenugreek which I later took by itself and did the trick but I think that when I used the combo I had better results.

HTH

I've been taking Fenugreek for a little while (had a bottle of about 180 capsules that I took). When I ran out, I didn't bother to get any more, and I actually noticed quite a dip in my supply. I went back to the store and bought more Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. It's only been a few days, and I've noticed a big difference in my supply. My breasts actually feel full again in the morning like they used to... I guess you can always try just taking the Fenugreek and if you don't get the results you want, add the Blessed Thistle. Or you can start out with both, simply because it can't hurt.

Thanks for the info! I started taking both at the same time. I haven't noticed that much change in feeling fuller but I am noticing that dd is eating a lot more. That's funny about the maple syrup smell...I haven't noticed it yet!

Quote Originally Posted by ellasmama
    Thanks for the info! I started taking both at the same time. I haven't noticed that much change in feeling fuller but I am noticing that dd is eating a lot more. That's funny about the maple syrup smell...I haven't noticed it yet!
    I've actually read that if you can't smell the maple syrup on your skin you aren't taking enough. The dosage is up to 12 pills a day for Fenugreek (4 pills, 3 times a day).

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Yes you can take Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle together. Along with MMTea and try eating oatmeal every morning. Lots of water and etc... If youre diabetic watch for low blood sugars with the Fenugreek. It can cause that. and yeah if you dont smell like a pancake syrup factory youre not taking enough lol...first time i smelled in on my self i was like "what is that" ohhhhh yeah hehe

Okay I'm looking at the bottle of F. I'm taking and it says to take up to 3 capsules daily. There's 150mg of fenugreek extract and 370mg of fenugreek powder per capsule. Do you think I should take more than 3 a day?