Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Okay, we have a teeth problem...

Default Okay, we have a teeth problem...

and if I'm going to continue to nurse DD, I'd better figure out how to overcome the pain! I want to partially wean DD at a year, just nursing at bedtime, during the night, and first thing in the morning. She's going to be a year old on 9/13. However, I'm not really looking forward to nursing much longer now that she has all these choppers! She isn't biting me. However, when she's sleepy and is drifting off, and she isn't really aware of what she's doing, she starts grazing me with her teeth. So, I try breaking the suction without waking her, so that I can get her choppers off me, but she wakes up! It's either wake her up and get some relief while she screams because she's sleepy, or let her continue nursing and grazing me until she is really good and asleep? It hurts!!!

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Default Re: Okay, we have a teeth problem...

Does switching sides when it starts hurting on one side help?
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

I do switch sides, but I've noticed that I'm nursing more on my left than my right because (for some reason) she doesn't hurt my left as much as my right. I am going to break out the Lansinoh lanolin again for some relief until she gets passed this and/or I go to our next LLL meeting for some help. Oh, I'm the librarian for our group! Maybe there is some advice and tips in one of our books, which I actually have here in my home. I'll check them.

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

I think I have the same issue going on. My DS has his top 2 and bottom 2 teeth in now. My nipples are hurting like crazy. Especially the left... it's recovering from a bite. I really think he's "scraping" my nips each time he pulls off. Not fun.

I have lots of problems with the scraping, especially on my right breast since his left front top tooth came in. Now he's getting the other front top tooth, so I'm really screwed! I think that part of the problem is that he grew teeth so late, so we got lazy with our latch. I have found that when I do get sores it helps to switch nursing position for a while until the sore heals. Like, switch to football for a while.

I have nursed DS on one side more than the other for most of our nursing career b/c one side is much more sensitive/hurts more than the other. In the beginning of my pregnancy, I always started him on my right (if it was before bed/nap), switched when it got uncomfortable, then I could finish on the left where it hurt less.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Try using a different postion to nurse. Remember that for a while after teeth break thru they are more rough but they wear down and that discomfort passes. If it has been a while since those teeth have come thru then use a different postion should help. The eye teeth seem to be the worse because they are pointy. sorry you guys are all uncomfortable
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

So what do you do when the new hold creates another sore before the old sore is healed? I tried nursing him "upside down" in bed (really!) and he didn't cooperate. Oddly enough, as mauled as my right nipple looks, my left is perfectly pink and happy.

I went through this with my DD during her first couple of teeth. This is what I did:

Paying very close attention, you can tell the moment she really starts to fall asleep. There's a bit of a break in the suction, and from there on out is when the slipping, teeth-grazing thing happens. So, as soon as I noticed the suction break, I would slip my finger in and take her off the breast. She quickly woke up, lunged for the boob and it wasn't but a few minutes before she'd fall asleep again. So, I just repeated the process over and over until she finally gave up and went to sleep. Sometimes it took literally ten times in a row, in like five minutes or less, but she did give up.

I felt like I was teaching her that she's either got to nurse, or go to sleep. She couldn't do both, because that hurts! It did actually seem to work!

After a couple nights of this she pretty much got over it. Now she's back to falling asleep on the boob, but she doesn't graze me with her teeth at all anymore.

HTH!

Also - you guys probably know this already, but be careful in favoring one side over the other. I did this recently because for some reason, my left breast was just always very uncomfortable, and I ended up developing mastitis in that breast -- MUCH more uncomfortable, lol.