Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: She loves poi, but how much is too much?

Default She loves poi, but how much is too much?

I've been giving my 5 1/2 month old baby girl poi for the past couple days as her first food. She seems to really like it since she sits there with her mouth wide open and her tongue sticking out. It's sooo cute. But anyway, I'm just wondering how much I should be giving her. She seems to just sit there eating away what I feed her, until the bowl is empty and that's about 2-3 tablespoons. I'm not sure if I'm overfeeding her the poi since she hasn't stopped me from feeding her yet. I'm afraid to give her more. She's still nursing plenty though, before and after the solids.

Default Re: She loves poi, but how much is too much?

At her age, she doens't need any solids at all, so there's certainly no such thing as too little. So long as she's still nursing as much as before and still making plenty of wet diapers and pooping fine, then 2-3 tablespoons is likely fine (though it is more than many babies are eating even at 7-8 mo).

Can she pick up small objects? I know it's early, but ds could do this at 5 mo. If so, you may want to let her try self-feeding. I don't know what the texture of poi is, but if it's reasonably thick and not too runny, she might enjoy feeding it to herself as well. Self feeding is a great way to make sure baby isn't eating too much solids because it lets baby totally regulate how much solids he or she eats, and baby also learns many more skills than she does if she's just sitting there opening her mouth for a spoon.