Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cereal

Default cereal

Another question...

I've read and heard that cereal is basically 'empty calories'. Since I'm still breast feeding on demand do I neeed to introduce them at all? Or can I just stick with fruits and veggies? Do I need to worry about Iron if I skip cereals?

TIA

Default Re: cereal

it is all up to you... some say that there are other 'better' first foods that have taste like avacodo and banana... some still introduce it because it has a very low allergy reaction. so it is really all up to you. are you planning on making your own foods??? ... lo is crying... i'll add more soon

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Cereal is not needed. It's not a LLL recommended 1st food because it is highly processed and has no real nutritional value other than the iron they fortify it with and even that is not nearly as absorbable as the iron your child will get from foods that actually have iron in them.
    Since I was being very very conscious of only giving my baby whole foods from the time we started, I did NOT want one of the 1st thing he ate to be a very very processed food. We skipped cereal altogether as many mothers here.
    You do need to make a point of making sure that you are eating iron rich foods as a breastfeeding mother and try to make a point to introduce iron rich foods.
    There is Iron in watermelon. We fed DJ that almost every day the 1st summer of his life because he really enjoyed it. When my Pedi found that out, she wasn't even concerned about doing an iron test until he was about 10 months old and by then he was eating a bunch of solid foods and I've been lucky that he has always been fine with his greens. And will eat spinach any way I serve it.
    But from the time he started until about month nine, watermelon was staple.
    Yes it's all up to you. But the answer to your original questions is no it's not needed and yes you can skip it altogether. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Just a side note, if you do decide to start with cereal... we were giving DD cereal once a day, just a tablespoon with veggies or fruit, and it really constipated her. I have heard this can be kind of common. It became obvious enough to me that the cereal was causing it that we have stopped using it altogether. It was always annoying trying to get the right consistency anyway.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Thanks! Think I'll skip the cereal... at least for now.