Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suddenly not pumping enough

Default Suddenly not pumping enough

I have always had a plentiful supply and have been able to pump enough for 4 4-1/2oz bottles while at work, plus a little extra. Up until last Wednesday that is. Suddenly, I can only pump a little over three bottles. What would cause such a sudden decrease? My period has not returned yet. No sudden stress, except for this problem. My breasts also no longer feel as full as they did. Am I just getting used to the pump (PIS) and it's not working as well? If so, what can I do? Other suggestions? It seems to get worse each day.

My DD is 8 mos. and we are just starting on solids so bm is being replaced with solids. However, she is crawling all over and I sometimes feel like she isn't eating as well since she'd rather be off exploring.

I just donated over 200 oz to the milk bank last week before this happened and now I fear maybe I'll need that milk.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Default Re: Suddenly not pumping enough

The same thing happened to me. I did everything- fenugreek, pumped more, ate more, drank tons of water, etc. After a few weeks I did notice an increase in my milk supply. But then I got my period back and afterwards I had tons of milk! So, maybe your period is on its way back, but just hasn't appeared yet.Hang in there!

Default Re: Suddenly not pumping enough

Thanks reva'smom. I was hoping it was just my period returning, but I thought it would happen within a few days. I'll just have to wait and and keep my fingers crossed that it is a temporary decrease.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)