Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: freezing pieces?

Default freezing pieces?

ok, so i have made all of my own purees or dd. i cook, mash and freeze.

dd now has two teeth and two more to come and i have been giving her pieces of food to pick up and eat, she is doing great. i like that i can make a lot of purees and freeze them, but can you do that with pieces of food??? for example, i cook a sweet potatoe and cut it in pieces and freeze, then just take out what she will eat... will the pieces get all mushy during the freeze defrost stages? I think i will only have to do this for sweet pot. and squash but i'm wondering if it will work... let me know i anyone else does this or what you do.

by the way, i like that i can just defrost what she will eat b/c i don't have a lot of time in the evenings...

thanks llladies

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Default Re: freezing pieces?

Hmm this is a good question, I'll bump it up for other food savvy mama's.
    I know if you do sweet potato strips and then bake them (with a tad bit of oil of your choice) they will defrost well. Then you can either serve them room temp or throw them in the oven to crisp them up a bit.

HTH
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I'll try that with the sweet potatoes. do you think it will work the same way with squash?? she loves squash...

fyi she only has two teeth, but has been doing really well - peas, peaches, cheerios, sometimes carrots, chicken, not to good with apples yet but we tried, and paper (if you read my other post)...

i just want to give her the foods that she really like in more solid form... tia

12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

I don't know if it would work or not, but I would think it would and couldn't hurt to try!

That sounds like a great plan! Offering whole foods like that is great!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

they ave frozen sweet poatoes in fry size chips at the store.

i'll have to look for them... today for dinner i gave dd yellow squash, broccoli and chicken, in both forms (puree and pieces)... she liked the pieces more! so i have to figure out how to make big batches and freeze because it took me an hour to make and she only eats a few ozs... I don't want to waste it or have to cook out a whole yellow squash...

12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    they ave frozen sweet poatoes in fry size chips at the store.
    I found some of these today at WF but they had a bunch of other ingredients in them, so I didn't buy them. It's just as easy to bake a couple, cut them up and freeze them. Just be sure to lay out the pieces on a sheet of wax paper on a cookie sheet so they will individually freeze first, then combine them in a freezer bag.

So far I've frozen:
    Peach slices - worked great
    Sweet potato dices - great
    Butternut squash dices - great
    Avocado slices - not great - defrosted weird
    Pear and apple slices - great - I baked the apple first, but the pear was a raw, ripe pear

I bought prepackaged frozen green beans and broccoli, and both have worked great.

Wholesomebabyfood.com gives you recommended freezing suggestions for most of the recipes.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.