Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Worried...

Default Worried...

Hello all. So my LO is 4 months old and since she was 2 months she has been cosleeping with me and my husband. which i We have swaddled her to sleep from day one because she sleeps longer and better if she is swaddled, i think it is comforting and familiar to her. Recently while BF during the night she somehow manages to get herself on her belly after she is done eating on me! She is swaddled mind you, and i am next to her but being the little houdini that she is when i wake up for the next feeding there she is on her tummy! and cosleeing has done its job for us in that we are both only half awake for night time feedings, and i usually fall asleep before she is done eating! i feel kind of guilty because if i stayed awake i could prevent her from rolling to her belly. I think she just kind of grunts and squirms till she is there!

has anyone come up against this? i worry about SIDS like any other mom, although i am not sold on the back to sleep policy all together. (think it is part of the crib companies propaganda...but we won't go there!) should i stay awake so i can make sure she is on her back when she falls back to sleep?

we follow all colseeping suggestions...firm mattress, limited pillows, up against the headboard...etc

i just don't know what to do! she looks so peaceful on her side/stomach and i have to admit that 98% of the time if she isn't on her tummy she is on her side! am i a terrible mom! be brutally honest please!
    Proud mommy to:
    Charlotte Ruth born 5/6/2008

"Do what you think is best; wait until you have weaned him. Only, may the Lord bring your resolve to fulfillment!" And so she remained at home and nursed her son until she had weaned him. 1 Samuel 1:23

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord granted my request. Now I, in turn, give him to the Lord; as long as he lives, he shall be dedicated to the Lord." 1 Samuel 1:27-28

15 months and counting!

Default Re: Worried...

Our son was never swaddled, but he started to roll onto his belly pretty early too. I worried and worried! I would always just make sure that he was on his back when I put him down, and if he rolled in the meantime there was nothing I could do about that. Then when we would wake to nurse I would just put him back onto his back again. He would eventually roll over again!

Plus, there are so many benefits to co-sleeping, like the whole patterned breathing thing. So even when he did roll over I didn't worry as much.

HTH!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I cosleep as well with my DD most of the time and she sleeps on her side all the time! Is this bad? The nurses at the hospital told me to keep her on her side in case she spit up. They said that laying her flat on her back could be a choking hazard if she spit up??? She's 13 weeks now and I've always positioned her on her side! Am I wrong for doing this? Should she be on her back? BTW-how do we side-lay feed if she's on her back?
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

I think if it were my DD I would stop swaddling her if she is rolling over.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I agree with the pp. My DD sleeps on her side all the time since we co-sleep and nurse side-lying. It's the swaddle that would worry me...I would think that it would be better for her to have the use of her arms if she was rolling onto her tummy. Maybe just wrap her legs? Or unswaddle her once she's reached her first deep sleep? It almost doesn't seem to matter to my DD what happens after she's gone down the first time...she just goes right back to sleep...perhaps your babe would sleep okay if she lost the swaddle once she's sleeping?

Once they can roll over to their bellies the back to sleep thing is pretty well done. IME, when the baby sleeps in their crib they are actually more likely to sleep on their tummies. When they co-sleep mine generally end up staying asleep on their back or sides. I think when they are alone they awaken, roll over, and put themselves back to sleep. When they are in bed with me, they awaken, nurse, and fall asleep on their sides and eventually end up on their back.

I do agree with the other post that now that she's more mobile you probably should do away with the swaddling.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

You are not a bad mom at all! cosleeping is so beneficial for both mom, dad, and baby.

Once a baby is able to roll onto his/her belly the chance of sids goes way down. I would, however, be cautious about a swaddled baby on her belly because she doesn't have the ability to use her arms if she needs to push herself up.

@llli*number1mommy
    I cosleep as well with my DD most of the time and she sleeps on her side all the time! Is this bad? The nurses at the hospital told me to keep her on her side in case she spit up. They said that laying her flat on her back could be a choking hazard if she spit up??? She's 13 weeks now and I've always positioned her on her side! Am I wrong for doing this? Should she be on her back? BTW-how do we side-lay feed if she's on her back?
    I am surprised that the nurses told you this because the back to sleep thing is everywhere. Personally, I've always felt most comfortable with by babies sleeping on their sides because of the choking fear....but a doctor will always say, "on the back." I feed ds laying down and I have been doing it since he was about 2-3 months old. We fall asleep together ALL THE TIME. In fact, I often wake up with my boob right under his chin!!

Keep up the good work mamas!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

DS spit up all the time during the night while sleeping on his back. It just went rolling down his cheek (and behind his ear...gross!), and he never choked a bit. I think that's old thinking that research hasn't shown to be correct, but I don't have that information handy.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.