Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EBM does not freeze

Default EBM does not freeze

I expressed once a day while at work. Recently, some of my EBM would not freeze even though been sitting in my freezer/fridge overnight. Just to be on the safe side, I threw away the precious milk.

Anyone can comment why this happen? There's no fridge at my workplace. Hence, I put my ebm in a cooler box with ice pack. I normally pumped at around 4-5pm and the EBM will be put into my freezer/fridge by 6-7 pm. At times, when in a rush at my workplace, i just do a quick rinse my pump and the bottle with hot water from a hot water flask.

Anyone experience this before? Pls advise. Thanks...NIC

Default Re: EBM does not freeze

This link might be helpful to you:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

It describes La Leche League's recomendations for storing human milk. In short, you can store human milk in the refrigerator safely for up to 8 days. If your milk didn't freeze, I have to assume it was based on some other factor, such as a possible defect in your freezer (are other things that were liquid able to freeze in the same amount of time? Try placing some water or juice in a baggie and seeing if there is any problem.)

It also bears mentioning that when a fridge/freezer is completely full, it does not function as well as when there is a little room for air to circulate around the items. You might consider calling the company that makes the fridge/freezer you are using to find out if there are adjustments you can make to the thermostat to better optimize. Additionally, the type of freezer you are using can make a difference. I have found that the little built-in freezer inside the small refrigerators often don't keep foods at a constant below freezing temperature. Being exposed to a freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw cycle would not be good for your milk, so it may be worthwhile to invest in another type of freezer storage if this is a problem with yours. A small deep freezer can run as little as $150 last I priced them. These chest-style freezers maintain a constant temperature near 0 degrees, and most human milk can be stored for 6 months successfully in them. The advantage is that then you can ask your mother/mother in law or other friends/relatives to bring you casseroles to store in the deep freeze for those nights when you don't want to cook!

I hope this information is helpful. Please reply if you have more questions or need more information.

Warmly,
    Karen Smith
    LLL Leader, IL

You can also look in the paper and get a deep freeze for next to nothing as well. I have two sets of horns and bottles that I carry to work so I do not have to clean anything until I get home. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your responses.

I personally do not think the problem is with the freezer as the rest of my EBM in bottles froze. Except once-in-a-while, one or two just would not freeze.

My hunch is the way i store/handle it when I pumped. But, what do i know??

Anybody else out there can help?

Thanks....NIC

I find the higher the sugar content the longer it takes things to freeze and it sometimes needs to be colder. Maybe this milk has a higher sugar content.