Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple bite and treatment

Default Nipple bite and treatment

My DS managed to bite my nipple, and draw blood. It's as annoyingly painful as a paper cut. Each time he latches on, it tugs open again. How am I supposed to get this thing to heal?!

Default Re: Nipple bite and treatment

When I had cracked nipples, my LC recommended the following course of treatment:
    - Moist healing using Lansinoh.
    - Fight inflammation and infection using a pea-sized mixture of 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin ointment applied on a clean fingertip. My LC said it didn't have to be wiped off before nursing, but I always did.
    - Soak the wound before latching your baby on. A lot of the pain is caused by a dried, hard scab tearing open again. If you can soak and soften the scab for several minutes before latching your baby on, the pain should be decreased. Use a warm, sopping-wet washcloth or immerse the scabbed area in water for about 30 seconds prior to latching.

I hope you're feeling better soon!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you! It's kind of funny, I never suffered from cracked nipples... now this.

OY! I am having the same issue! My DD just got her first tooth on the bottom a couple weeks ago (she's 11 months now) and she was having a bit of a fussy feeding and bit me! I have been using Lanolin to keep it moist, but even with constantly applying Lanolin it keeps sticking to my nursing pad or shirt and keeps getting ripped open! Yesterday it ripped open and started bleeding and it actually made me feel nauseous from the pain! I think I need a bandaid to cover it... I hope it heals soon cause the injury is on the right nipple, and my LO's favorite side to nurse on is the right side!!

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

You might want to try gel pads (like Soothies) instead of the cream (which certainly can be sticky!).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My injury is on the left side, or as I refer to it "the big boobie"... the bigger producer and my DS preferred side.

I found a pack of the Soothies that were given to me as a shower gift. So glad I hung on to them. Ahhhhh, it feels quite comforting.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milk.milk.lemonade View Post
    My injury is on the left side, or as I refer to it "the big boobie"... the bigger producer and my DS preferred side.
    That's just like us! Except my bigger boob and super producer is right boob (boob with the injury...) These days, I can hardly get my DD to nurse on the left side at all... I'm actually worried that production has dropped way down on the left side, which is already the smaller side!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milk.milk.lemonade View Post
    I found a pack of the Soothies that were given to me as a shower gift. So glad I hung on to them. Ahhhhh, it feels quite comforting.
    I'm going to have to try and find some of those Soothies cause this pain is just unbelievable... I think I've seen them at Babies R Us, but it's sorta a far drive to get there... hmmmm... How can one tiny little cut hurt so bad?!?

Buff

My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

When my daughter was born and the midwife handed her to me she gummed both my nipples off the start. That first week was extremely painful because my nipples were so so so so sore from the biting. So I had to teach her how to suck and in the meantime try to heal my nipples.

The lanolin didn't help me and neither did vitamin E. Then my midwife told me to soak cloth nursing pads with some of my breast milk and keep them on my nipples. This amazingly was the cure that healed me! I couldn't believe it. I also used some of my breast milk when my daughter got a diaper rash. I just squirted some on her diaper area, closed up the diaper and she was healed within a day. I couldn't believe that one either! But then again they always say Mother Nature knows best right?

Peggie
    http://www.cheapcheez.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Ask me about BELLY BUTTON RINGS to use during your pregnancy to protect your PIERCING!

~~~~~~~~~~

Married to an amazing man and friend, Anthony - 4/10/04

Mother to Adria - a home-birthed , breastfed, hazel-eyed smoocher! 12/21/05

Hey mama, just wanted to tell you that I think my bite is starting to heal... FINALLY! I figured out that it was my nursing pads causing the problems, as the scab would stick to the pad and get ripped off every time the pad shifted. OUCH! I was using a band-aid (that adhesive hurts on a nipple!!) but now I have purchased some of those non-stick gauze pads to cover my nipple and they seem to be helping! The key is to find the NON-STICK kind, similar to the pad material on a band-aid. I am also still using Lanolin which is helping to keep it moist... Anyway, just wanted to share what is working for me! Hope your bite is healing too

HTH

Buff

It has finally healed! That was not fun. Wearing the Soothies was the key for me.