Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 Month old & breast milk intake - SSL

Question 5 Month old & breast milk intake - SSL

My LO turns 5 months on the 31st. He's had trouble with BMs, he would go weeks @ a time. I've read that it was normal for breastfed babies to skip BMs & go sometimes a week without. But our LO would go WEEKS & become very fussy, gassy & strain to go. We'd try stimulation with the thermometer but that never seemed to help. The ped dr recommended juice & suppositories as needed. Sometimes he would go on his own but when we were nearing a week & he's straining would go on for hrs we'd help him with a suppository. Then he'd go almost instantly & we'd have poopy explosions. At his 4 month checkup, the dr asked about he's BMs (we started a poop Log) & he suggested we started him on oatmeal. Since the oatmeal he's been going daily. YEAH!!! We only give him a tablespoon with about an oz - 2oz of Breast milk before he's bed-time feeding. He's doing great with the spoon!

Everything has been great till last night. He's slept through the night ever since he's come home from the hospital & last night he was up @ 3am. he woke us with his rainforest soother. So I changed he's peed diaper & brought him to bed for a snack. He ate really well & then snuggled in After about 10 minutes he started wiggling about & I thought he was uncomfortable so I put him back in his crib. A few minutes later the rainforest soother came back on. Dh & I tried to ignore it & go back to sleep but LO started screaming. This went on for 2 hours off & on. It wasn't hunger, loneliness, or needing to poo...(I was in tears) Finally 6am he feel asleep & I didn't have the heart to wake him to eat so I just rolled him toward me & he latched in his sleep. He ate for a bit & then DH took him to Grandma's.

I called on my lunch hr to check on him & she said he ate one bottle, started fussing & she couldn't figure out what was wrong, so she offered him another bottle & he ate half of it. Now I'm cause I only send 3 4oz bottles (she has some frozen, only a few) & I only pump 4 oz each pump break. I'm hoping that maybe this is just a growth spurt cause I don't know how I'm going to provide him enough milk. My work is 45 minutes away & I work 9hrs. So I'm away for almost 11 hrs. I pump (20 minute) as soon as I get to work, on my lunch break & again in the late afternoon before I leave. I get exactly 3 4oz bottles which I send the next day or freeze on fridays. I only have about 2-3 work days worth in my freezer. So I'm wondering if it's time to have Grandma give the LO solids while I'm @ work?

I'm trying not to stress cause I know it effects the supply. Oh, I drink mother's tea after every pumping session & eat oatmeal for breakfast each morning & drink water by the gallons.

this was so long...
    Last edited by @llli*aessem; August 29th, 2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: add signature
    due 5/31/2010 - born 3/31/2008

Default Re: 5 Month old & breast milk intake - SSL

Hi! I am sorry I can't answer your question. My LO is just 4 1/2 months. But thanks for sharing about the BM issue. My LO has been only going once every two or three days and although the Dr. says it's OK it bothers me! Especially when he gets gassy and you can tell he wants to go!

If my LO get's too uncomfotable I will have to ask his dr. about the oatmeal.

I am glad you little one is feeling better!

I'm gone from my LO (6 1/2 mos) about that amount of time during the day, and my supply has still managed to increase when needed. I'd make sure to offer and feed frequently while you are together. Use nights and weekends to have LO regulate your supply--don't use bottles. If he does need more, that should help you produce more.

If he doesn't seem interested that's your cue that something else may be going on. My LO is fussy right now because she picked up a cold at daycare and her throat is bugging her. Yours might be getting some teething pain. I just keep looking for signs of what might be going on.

Adding solids may not help things...it will just add in one more variable for you to think about when trying to determine what's going on. Is LO slightly intolerant of the new food?, etc.

This could be lots of things.
    Beginning of teething - do you see any gum swellling or increase in drooling, chewing on hands? You could try cold chew toys, baby orajel, teething tablets, etc.
    Could be he has a little bug and doesn't feel well.
    Could be a growth spurt since he's taking more milk and he may just want to feed a lot.
    I'd try to get a "nursing day" in with him where you just nurse a lot of bring up your supply and see if that helps. I know it's frustrating, but it won't last long. Good luck!
    It's is frustrating
    Erin
    Mom to Laura (3/1/06)

Smile Re: 5 Month old & breast milk intake - SSL

Thanks for all the posts.

Ever since he turned 4 months we have thought he was teething. He's been sucking on his fingers & toes more & drools constantly. We noticed some sweeling around where he's caine teeth would be... But the dr said he didn't think it was teething, even though massaging his gums seems to calm him when fussy. I understand that usually the bottom front teeth come in first & found it odd that the sweeling was where the caines would be. We've tried oragel but baby doesn't seem to like it & he loses interest in the teething rings. I've been keeping an eye out for teeth breaking through but nothing has happened as of yet.

I talked this over with my husband & he informed me that our nephew had a cold since wednesday & LO is @ grandma's with him during the week. I noticed over the weekend that LO was kinda snorty while sleeping. So I tried to clear his nose & it looks as though he's fighting the cold.

Also since I got to spend a long weekend with him I noticed that he is eating every 4 hours now instead of 3 & not as long. He only wants one boob @ a time & seems very content in that little time that he nurses. This morning was the first I've pumped since this long weekend & was able to get 7oz... YEAH!!! So I guess like you meantioned, he was able to up my supply in that little time. Also I've increased the amount of oatmeal I eat in the morning. Over the weekend I bought a huge tub of instant oatmeal & made it according to the package for a serving & was amazed @ the amount that it called one serving. I was only eating one packet & now have increased that to 2 here @ work. Hopefully now I'll be able to keep up with LO.

Also I've been maually expressing the Breast milk needed for his oatmeal @ night. It was so funny cause last night he ate his oatmeal & was sitting patiently in his highchair, looking like he was asking... what's next... Of course mommy was next!

So for now my worries are over. Thanks girls for all the hints/tips/suggestions.
    due 5/31/2010 - born 3/31/2008