Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Foods and medications, what is safe?

Question Foods and medications, what is safe?

What is the general thought on caffiene and breastfeeding? Can I have one cup of coffee in the a.m. or will that have a negative effect on the baby? What about chocolate? Has anyone had experience with taking Immitrex and bf? I don't even know if you can.

Default Re: Foods and medications, what is safe?

A cup of morning coffee is fine as long as the caffeine doesn't bother your baby. Same with chocolate and any other foods that people may tell you to eliminate--spicy foods, cabbage, beans, broccoli, etc. Of course if the baby shows is fussy or gassy after you eat them, you probably want to eliminate them. Many mothers find that their babies will be sensitive as newborns and small infants but will do fine as they get a little older.

As for what medications are safe, it really depends on the medication. Many medications are safe to take while nursing. If they are not, there is usually a suitable alternative that is safe. LLL encourages you to dialogue with your doctor any time medication is prescribed.

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!