Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: SIL's Newborn hasn't nursed in 5 hours

Default SIL's Newborn hasn't nursed in 5 hours

My sil had her dd yesterday. She's not even 24 hours yet. The last time she got her to nurse was 5 hours ago. I guess she has tried a few times and either she latches on falls right asleep or just isn't latching on. I told her to change her diaper, strip her down, skin to skin but it hasn't worked. This is sort of how problems started for my dd and her older ds. I want it to work for her. The nurse came in and tried to help but all she ended up saying was "well I guess she's just to sleepy"

Any other advice I can give her? We are on opposite sides of the country and I really wish I could be there to help.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Default Re: SIL's Newborn hasn't nursed in 5 hours

My Ally didn't nurse for the first 24 hours, almost to the minute, of her life. She was fine & I was told it was OK b/c, apparently, newborns are well-hydrated for the first 24 hours after being born.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

DJ also didn't nurse for 24 hours and even after than had a 5hour period where he didn't nurse. Don't freak her out. Don't let the nurses freak her out and don't let them give her a bottle. The nurses WERE trying to freak me out about him going so long, AND tried to force him to eat. He was trying to Sleep!
    On the 2nd night in the hospital he was up all night trying and HAD to stay latched. He slept at the breast and if I tried to take him off he woke up and looked at me like this:SO I basically had to sit up all night and try to sleep like that because he NEEDED to stay on me and I had no idea how to side lye nurse. Tell her not to worry and not feel like the not eating for the 1st 24 OR weight loss(Up to 10% is NORMAL) is a need to supplement. It's not. Trust the baby and be firm with the staff. They will figure it out. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Did she have an epi or any other pain medication? That can really effect a newborn. KEEP trying, every 15 minutes or half hour, a lot of times they will wake up and then nurse like there's no tomorrow.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Thanks for the replies. Actually no she didn't have any pain meds, so I was surprised she was being so sleepy. It's good to hear the other stories about not nursing the first 24 hours. I'm trying hard not to push. I'm not sure how much she wants to bf. When she had her son I was there and was her support person. I had no kids we had no clue what we were doing. He did this not waking to eat and she ended up supplementing w/ formula until about 3 months when she quit bf all together. But she made it farther than I did w/ my first. I was going by the advice that they shouldn't need to eat any more freq than 2 hours. That is what I essentially believe did us in. So I don't want her to have the same problem, but I don't want to push bf on her either. I don't know how long she'll last this time but I really wan't this baby to get bm for a little while at least. It's the very least all babies deserve! A lot of this is probably from my own failure w/ DD.

So I'll just tell her to keep trying. I haven't heard from her in a few hours. So we'll see.

Jenn

I've read that over-vigorous suctioning of a newborn's mouth can also cause reluctance to latch on and feed.

Does your SIL's hospital have a lactation consultant on staff? If so, get that LC to come in and help ASAP!!! If not, then your SIL should ask the staff to help her find one in the area, and have that person come and visit her in the hospital.

Please give her lots of support! I am sure her baby will get down to business soon.

Yeah she just called and the LC did come in to help. I guess she was kind of rough though. But she did latch on and she said she nursed around 10 min on both side and then again for about 5.

Good thought on the suctioning. There was meconium in her water and they did spend some time suctioning her.

I hope she get's to see the LC a few more times before she leaves.

Jenn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ak411 View Post
    My Ally didn't nurse for the first 24 hours, almost to the minute, of her life. She was fine & I was told it was OK b/c, apparently, newborns are well-hydrated for the first 24 hours after being born.
    Same here - AK didn't nurse for about 18 hrs. She's still nursing today at 18 months. Good luck to your sis!

Glad to hear she got some help. It is quite common to have a sleepy baby for the first 24 hours of life, they've been through a lot ! Just tell her to stick to her plan and follow the baby's lead!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."