Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are doctors so worried???

Wink Re: Why are doctors so worried???

Well depending on how much iron your baby has stored yes the reserves can run out at 6 mos. There are many factors including heredity and the amount you ate during pregnancy and your bodies stores. If you feel like your pedi is pushing you too hard find another. My son sees a family practice dr. I was told I was crazy but he came with high reccommendations and he is of the family is a unit type philosophy. He told me there is no reason to push solids because D showed no signs of anemia. Breastmilk does have some iron in it too. Yes the GI tract is usually immature until 6 months. In all actuality as adults we have food particles of what we eat in our stool so it doesnt surprise me that an infant does too. Usually when a baby has the front two teeth on top and bottom they will want to learn to bite off of things. Watch for things like bitting the pacifier and then yanking it out, intense stare at adults while eating, trying to eat paper, etc. If your little one shows any of these signs I would start small. It keeps my son calm just to feel like he is part of what is going on. Most importantly go with your gut. A mother's instinct is usually the best indicator for what her child is ready for.

Default Re: Why are doctors so worried???

Thanks for all the info. Her Iron levels are fine, had them checked at her 9 month appt. I was offering foods (homemade baby food) everyday till about a week ago, I stopped, it just seemed to upset her when she saw it was "that time." Her pedi has ordered for her to see a occupational thearpist and one is coming out to the house on the 31st (she already has a physical thearpist due to delays in development). She was a premie plus she had the fundoplacation and g-button surgery on May 24th for her reflux/aspiration. They just seem to be so worried about it and when I look at her I don't seem to know why, she's 10 months old and 18lbs 12oz a couple of weeks ago at the doctors.

Marcie
    Mom of Madeline

Do you suppose the doc wants your little one checked out since baby had the surgery for the reflux? It could be that if baby hadn't needed the surgery at all, that the doc wouldn't be this concerned.

Maybe you could try scheduling an appointment to talk with your doc and discuss his recommendations at length. If your doc is anything like ours, they rarely have time to explain anything, and look a bit flustered when you do ask...(ours is a very popular pediatrition, and she seems overworked.) Anyway, maybe if the time is scheduled, and you sit down and talk, the doc will have more answers for you. That way you can make a better decision as to whether to find another pediatrition and get a second opinion.

Good Luck, I totally understand about the docs, they sometimes don't seem to make sense...perhaps they aren't conveying everything that they're actually thinking when they speak to us...it's got to be pretty hectic to see so many patients in one day and try to remember the last appt. you had with each one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommie of 2
    Do you suppose the doc wants your little one checked out since baby had the surgery for the reflux? It could be that if baby hadn't needed the surgery at all, that the doc wouldn't be this concerned.

Maybe you could try scheduling an appointment to talk with your doc and discuss his recommendations at length. If your doc is anything like ours, they rarely have time to explain anything, and look a bit flustered when you do ask...(ours is a very popular pediatrition, and she seems overworked.) Anyway, maybe if the time is scheduled, and you sit down and talk, the doc will have more answers for you. That way you can make a better decision as to whether to find another pediatrition and get a second opinion.

Good Luck, I totally understand about the docs, they sometimes don't seem to make sense...perhaps they aren't conveying everything that they're actually thinking when they speak to us...it's got to be pretty hectic to see so many patients in one day and try to remember the last appt. you had with each one.
    Her pedi and pulmoligist were concerned before the surgery also (she was 7 months old when the surgery happened) and they wanted me to start her on cereal at 4 months and I didn't do that, she wasen't ready. I've asked them both that and they said that I have missed that window to feed her and have to start asap due to she won't learn how to eat.?.?. It just doesen't make sense to me.....Maybe I just don't get it....lol

Marcie
    Mom of Madeline

Is there some reason that you don't want her to start eating solids? I remember with my first lo that it was kind of a hard thing (baby starting solids), as I was concerned that once lo started solids, the weaning process officially started and I would miss the closeness of the exclusive nursing with my little one. I soon realized, that my little one still wanted to nurse just as much at first, and we always nursed before food until lo was a year old. My little one went on to nurse until self weaning at a few days before 2 years old.

If you don't have any other reason for waiting, you may need to come to terms with the fact that your little one does need to "learn" how to eat, even if she's doing well on breastmilk alone now, there will come a time (perhaps in the next few months) that lo will need the extra food from solids too, and she needs to know how to eat well enough to get what she needs when that time occurs.

If she doesn't seem interested in the foods you are serving right now, try something else. There are lots of foods that a 10 mos old baby can eat, that a 6 mos. old can't yet. You need to watch for allergies, but finger foods are good to play with as well as eat, like cheerios and tiny pieces of canned pears and peaches and sweet potatoes too. Our first lo (#2 is only 5 mos. old, so no solids yet) was eating only table food (and breastmilk of course)by the time he was 10 mos. old. He hated jarred baby food with a passion, but loved to try what we were eating at a meal...we just had to mash it up until he got enough teeth to do some good.

It also seemed to help to make sure baby ate meals with everybody else at the table. Not in a high chair, which seemed to seclude the little one too much, and also seemed too easy to feed baby first by himself and then serve the meal to everybody else. The social activity of a meal at the table is really good for kids too, and seeing others eating, and realizing that this is what big people do is a really great learning tool. We got a booster chair that strapped to a chair and elevated our little one up to table height so he could really be a part of the meal. We just kept the condiments and hot foods away from his portion of the table, and used a vinyl tablecloth for easy cleanup. (helped to have an always hungry dog in the house too, for the floor, lol, but that's another story)