Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are doctors so worried???

Default Why are doctors so worried???

I just am courious why doctors are so worried about why my daughter (10 months old on the 11th) haven't started solids. Has anyone else ran into doctors pushing for solid foods to start & look at you like your crazy for them not taking solids? It's so bad that her pedi has schedualed for her to see a occupational thearpist and a speech thearpist.

Marcie
    Mom of Madeline

Default Re: Why are doctors so worried???

Have you been offering solids at all? Does she seem at all interested? Is she growing and developing well? Maybe you should just ask your Dr why he's so concerned. If it's iron, you could ask that he do a blood test to see what her current levels are.

uggg I don't know seams like the more they try and push foods the less the kids even eat.
    and that pedisure is just sugar and oil.
    I bet they don't worry so much when kids is over weight!

it is very annoying the pressure from doctors. They still push the food pyramid on you too.

I would also have to ask if your child has tried any solids, or if s/he isn't interested, etc. (My 10 month old isn't all that interested in solids, either, which makes the prospect of weaning daunting!! )

I don't want to alarm you unnecessarily. I don't know what the window is, exactly, but there is a window where children learn to eat solids, and if you pass that, they may be averse to trying them. I have a nephew that had some medical issues, and was unable to eat solids in his first years of life. Now that he's past those issues, he doesn't "know" how to eat solids, and doesn't want to at all!

All that said, your child will likely show interest in eating solids soon enough (s/he will be really interested in what you're eating) and you won't be able to stop him/her!

One thing I've learned about being a parent....Many times the experts have good things to say, but many times they're also wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ljgrile
    I don't want to alarm you unnecessarily. I don't know what the window is, exactly, but there is a window where children learn to eat solids, and if you pass that, they may be averse to trying them. I have a nephew that had some medical issues, and was unable to eat solids in his first years of life. Now that he's past those issues, he doesn't "know" how to eat solids, and doesn't want to at all!

All that said, your child will likely show interest in eating solids soon enough (s/he will be really interested in what you're eating) and you won't be able to stop him/her!
    I believe it's a myth (or at the very least, it's unproven) that if you don't start solids by a certain number of months that the baby will have missed the "window," and be destined to have problems with solid foods. You might want to check out this article:

Is there a "window of opportunity" for starting solids?

It appears the only research study ever done to back this myth up was done on the 60's involving several mentally retarded children. But that for normally developing, healthy babies there should be no problems.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I didn't introduce solids until Mez was about 10 months old. And I did so very gradually. In fact on his 1st birthday there is a picture of him in a birthday hat eating mashed sweet potato while we were out to eat at a restaurant. He's now 40 months old and is the best eater anyone has ever encountered. Last night he ate 4 burritos. I ate 3! I think the best thing to do is to follow the lead of your child. If she's not interested, then don't worry at all. Many of my friends' kids didn't start becoming interested in solids until they were 1 year old or older. And they are all fine. Don't believe that "window of opportunity" for starting solids either. In fact, it's better to start later. Here are the reasons why

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#reasons

Basically, the intestines are not mature enough to accept anything but breastmilk for the first 6 months. Then certain foods can be digested. But not all. In fact I delayed wheat and all nuts until Mez was well over a year old because I was told that wheat and nut food allergies are common because children are fed wheat and nut products too early.

One more thing I want to point out is teeth. Some children are born with them, others don't have them when they are a year old. So following your when yourchild gets teeth is another cue as to when to introduce solids.

-Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by LaurenS
    One more thing I want to point out is teeth. Some children are born with them, others don't have them when they are a year old. So following your when yourchild gets teeth is another cue as to when to introduce solids.
    You're not suggesting that babies who are born with teeth should start solids from brith? Honestly, I have heard the "teeth" thing before, but it sounds like so much rubbish to me. It's not like a tooth or two in the front of the mouth will actually help with chewing anyway.

Yes the last part of my post was a little confusing. What I meant was that although some children are born with teeth that most kids don't get teeth for a while after they are born. And if someone's child is 10, 11, 12 or whatver months old without teeth, perhaps their body is not ready for solids yet. I know it's just some weird theory that has not been proven. I just brought it up because someone mentioned it to me once in defense of delaying solids.

-Lauren

about what laurens said about the digestive system being immature, its tru my 7.5 mo old always has chunks of what she has eaten in her poops. she is eating age appropriate things
    i wonder if dr.s feel that if they need to push food because in the past alot of people fed their babies formula and they are not too familiar/uncomfortable with b. feeding/breastmilk that they feel the need to recommend things just incase? or because in the past they had our mothers introducing us to food at absurdly early ages
    you know your bebe better than anyone.....so you know best...as long as its offered bebes' will do what they do