Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Won't nurse lying down anymore

Default Won't nurse lying down anymore

DD used to fall asleep nursing lying down - but it's been a few months since she's done that. Now when I try to nurse her lying down she wriggles all over the place, grabs her feet, turns over on to her tummy, pushes up on all fours, crawls - all while latched on. I really miss the times when we used to be able to nurse-nap. Anyone's LO go through this stage and then settle down to nurse lying down again?
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Default Re: Won't nurse lying down anymore

Bump.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Default Re: Won't nurse lying down anymore

Yes, my DS went through that. He still gets pretty wacky sometimes, using his feet to climb up my side and stand on his head while latched on, etc., but if it is bugging me I just break the latch and let him know I want him to lie down, then sort of drape an arm over his body lightly to encourage him to settle down and usually that works. If he's really being rambunctious (like kicking my bladder ), I call an end to the session and we try again a short time later, or we try a different position. I find that when he is really going wild, sitting on my lap to nurse helps him to be more still -- don't know why, maybe it reduces his fear that he will fall asleep, which he would usually like to avoid at any cost

Best of luck!
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb