Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time mom, a teacher, and SO OVERwhelmed....

Default Re: First time mom, a teacher, and SO OVERwhelmed....

I just want to offer a and some sympathy. My LO is teething and last night I was up 7 times. I teach and am back at work in 3 weeks. I'm really worried about the lack of sleep and how I'll cope.

A friend told me that if LO gets an eye infection, to bathe with breast milk. Not sure about the evidence for this or if it's any help to your LO's eye problem.

Hope things improve for the both of you very soon.

xx
    I'm Tracy. Wife to Jez. Mum to Abigail born 4th March 08 and Harriet 15th July 09
    and loving it. Trying out with new baby - so far so good!

Last year when my lo was born I had to go back to work when she was 2 months old! It was really hard in the begining, but you know somehow it all worked. I ended up pumping during my planning period and/or on my lunch break. It was hard, but it can be done. plus the first few weeks of school are always the craziest!!

how have things been going now? If you want to know the different things I did last year to help bf just pm me and I'd be glad to go into detail about the schedule that I kept up with last year!!!

Hang in there momma!
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

Just wanted to add more encouragement, sympathy, and empathy. My toddler and 8 week old have been home the last two days with me (both under the weather w/ teething, coughing, virus, stuffy noses, etc.). I had to go in before dinner yesterday and prepare my room for a sub. I'm hoping that I can go in to work tomorrow. I love staying home with the kids, but I want them to be well and being home means more make up to do at work.

We've used colloidal silver for both colds and eye infections. You can find it at all natural stores including whole foods. It's incredibly expensive, but you just use a tiny bit at a time and it really works. It works for ear infections, too.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope everyone's year start to the year is going ok...thinking of all of you amazing teachers and mommas out there! Hope everyone's babies are well and healthy...

Hope things are getting better mama! How's the lo doing now? Do you find that he is getting better on the weekends and then getting sicker a couple days into dc?
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

I would not suction the baby's nose. Our doctor said that could make the baby's mucus worse. She told me each night to keep her in a bathroom for 15 minutes while running a hot shower so she's breathing in steam and then to spray saline spray in each nostril three times a day (it stinks and she hates it but it helps). She told me not to suction after spraying because it is the saline spray in there that will help break up the mucus - sucking it out defeats the purpose. My daughter is also in daycare and this has helped significantly. Also, I wouldn't worry about the eye. My daughter has had that a few times and it is the reason that your doctor told you. The most important thing you are doing is breastfeeding which will help prevent the baby from getting as sick. It doesn't really prevent them from getting sick (most of the time) but it does help decrease the sickness. Also, I usually spend some time in the daycare in the morning and evenings (15 minutes or so) to kind of breathe in the germs myself - which sounds ridiculous - but if you get exposed to the cold then your body will start producing antibodies and that will go out through the breastmilk to your baby.

I just wanted to say that leximom has AWESOME advice. I heard the same thing about suctioning from my ped. And I've done the shower and they daycare germ thing... great tips!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*abismumuk View Post
    My LO is teething and last night I was up 7 times. I'm really worried about the lack of sleep and how I'll cope.
    abismumuk, I was thinking the same thing right before I went back to work. I've been really down since I've been back to work and have been really missing my lo. I know it's just a matter of time before I get back into the swing of things, since I have been home with DS since March. The first week was really hard, being that he was sick and started to teeth. Well during the long weekend, I ended up getting sick. I believe it was a mixture of stress of being back to work, worrying about him in dc and being sick, and also the lack of sleep that I was getting. So, this past week was the second week of school for me and I completely lost my voice on Wed and was teaching w/o a voice. I finally called in on Friday to get some rest, but did I? Nope, brought work with me to work from home. Hopefully, I'll have my voice back by Monday. It's coming slowly.

Thanks for the encouragement. It really helps knowing that people have been in my shoes before and can offer some advice/encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovinmommy View Post
    I ended up pumping during my planning period and/or on my lunch break. It was hard, but it can be done.

how have things been going now?
    lovinmommy, pumping is crazy at work!! I have to constantly remind people who come into my room (admin, custodians, & other teachers) that if there is a sign on my door that says "Please, do NOT disturb" to NOT come into my room. I almost had someone walk in on me, but they closed the door right away, when they saw the back of my chair. I have 1st per prep, I pump. lunch, I pump, and after school, I pump. It's so much work, but it can be done. I have to rush to do other things and have learned to eat while I pump, but I'm sure you've mastered that already.

My lo is much better now. I had him stay with his aunt that Friday of the long weekend so that he can rest for 4 days. It worked out and he's much better. In turn, I got sick that weekend and have lost my voice for 4 days and counting. I hope to get it back by Monday.

Thanks for the
    Mommy to Evan and Lauren

Lauren
    Born 03/04/11
    Weight 6lbs 15oz
    1 month 8lbs 2oz
    2 months 11lbs 15oz
    4 month 14lbs 13oz

Big Brother Evan 3 years old 03/30/08 for 7 months

Constantly , at work, loves to all the time

Please excuse my typos!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ejsmommy View Post
    pumping is crazy at work!! I have 1st per prep, I pump. lunch, I pump, and after school, I pump. It's so much work, but it can be done. I have to rush to do other things and have learned to eat while I pump, but I'm sure you've mastered that already.
    this is me
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

My kiddos were both under the weather after the first week of daycare. My toddler had hand, foot, mouth, a cold, and is cutting two teeth. My 10 week old is getting over a cough and a stuffy nose. I was fighting off a cold, too but am better today. that is one of the hardest parts of teaching Having to keep yourself and the kids healthy when you are around sick kids all the time. and then, not being able to be home with your kids to help them get better. Hope you all are feeling well!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    that is one of the hardest parts of teaching Having to keep yourself and the kids healthy when you are around sick kids all the time. and then, not being able to be home with your kids to help them get better. Hope you all are feeling well!!
    I know what you mean. At work, I am the teacher, a friend, a nurse, a counselor, most of the time their parent figure, and to not be able to stay home to take care of your own....ughh....I get so sad when I'm pumping. But he is better now. I went back to work today and am feeling a lot better. Thanks for the and the
    Mommy to Evan and Lauren

Lauren
    Born 03/04/11
    Weight 6lbs 15oz
    1 month 8lbs 2oz
    2 months 11lbs 15oz
    4 month 14lbs 13oz

Big Brother Evan 3 years old 03/30/08 for 7 months

Constantly , at work, loves to all the time

Please excuse my typos!