Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time mom, a teacher, and SO OVERwhelmed....

Unhappy First time mom, a teacher, and SO OVERwhelmed....

Hi...I just needed to share....I just started work again and have been with my LO since birth; I am a teacher and classes began yesterday. My 5mo DS started daycare 2 weeks ago, and since then he has had a cold. I figured he'd get over it quickly since the past colds he's had he'd gotten over them in 3-4 days. Wells it's 2 weeks later and it doesn't seem to be getting better. 2 days ago, I noticed that he had mucus in his eyes, was a little concerned and took him to the Dr. Dr. said that due to his congestion in his nose, it is backing up into his tear ducts. I was afraid it was pink eye, but she assured me it wasn't. Since DC can't suction his nose, I don't know how he can get over this unless I find alternate care for him that can take of his needs while he is sick. I know babies get sick, it's a part of life, but I just feel awful when I see his eyes covered in goop. I feel like if I didn't work, he would be better by now.

Anyhow, on top of having a cold, DS started biting. He's teething. He's getting up 3 times a night again, (which was down to 2) which mean less sleep for me since my day starts at 5:30am. Sometimes he likes to stay awake for hours to play.

Work is pretty crazy, trying to pump with little time to do it. My students are great but need a lot of energy from me - I have about 170 students.

So....DS cold + teething = less sleep. work + 170 students + crazy work schedule = me overwhelmed. I know I just need to get back into the swing of things at get adjusted to my lack of sleep, but I just needed to share. So thanks for letting me share and sorry for this being so long.

Default Re: First time mom, a teacher, and SO OVERwhelmed....

Sounds like you have a lot going on! You must be exhausted.

Is there any chance the eyes are just a blocked tear duct? My DD had that in one eye - lots of discharge - and all I did was very gently scrape my (clean) fingernail against the inside corner of her eye, and the next day it was better. I am NOT a doctor and this wasn't something my doctor told me to do - just something I read on here I think!

Anyway that's a moot point if it's not a blocked tear duct.

Sorry I'm not more help!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

mamma. I know how you feel, when I went back to work DS was 5 months old and I have a really stressful job (not a teacher so can't relate) but lots of pressure and stress. My LO was sick and teething too and I got less sleep because of it. My LO is now two, and still doesn't sleep through the night wakes 2 - 3 times - my day starts at 5am. All I can say is that it does get easier and you do become used to having less sleep. Hang in there mamma - it will get better. Don't feel guilty for needing to work. He will get better - don't feel guilty. .

Hang in there!!

Mother to Zayne 19/8/06 2.56kg

Any time my DD is teething she gets a runny nose. I always start off thinking she has another cold but then whammo a few weeks later there's a tooth. Perhaps it isn't a cold and that's why it is lingering on?
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I'm a first grade teacher - so just wanted to add my encouragement. My toddler and my 8 week old just started daycare. It is overwhelming. I hope you find the rest and help that you need. It is so hard to be away from them and then come home to have to do chores, dinner, etc. I hope that it gets better for you!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaitlyns.mom View Post

Is there any chance the eyes are just a blocked tear duct?
    Dr. said that his congestion was backing up into his tear ducts because he can't blow his nose. She told me to clean it with a warm cotton ball.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    Perhaps it isn't a cold and that's why it is lingering on?
    That's what I thought at first, but he's coughing. I kept him home from DC on Friday and hopefully this long weekend will help him get better. I really believe that he just needs a lot of TLC and sleep. He seems to look better already. But although, I keep checking his gums to see if there's anything there. Nothing yet, but they do seem a little swollen, so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    I'm a first grade teacher - so just wanted to add my encouragement. My toddler and my 8 week old just started daycare. It is overwhelming. I hope you find the rest and help that you need. It is so hard to be away from them and then come home to have to do chores, dinner, etc. I hope that it gets better for you!
    Thank you! Yesterday I felt like I was coming down with a cold. I plan on getting lots of rest with my LO this long weekend!!!

Thank you for the encouragement everyone! I really appreciate it! He seems to look better already.

I totally hear you. School starts for me on tuesday and I had a complete breakdown yesterday. My son is 18 months but when he went to daycare last year he had a runny nose the WHOLE year. It wasn't until summer break it went away. I'm dreading the colds and sicknesses again this year. With a little one it is sooo much harder b/c they cant blow thier noses and its just so sad. But I swear, w/o BF idk if I could've made it. When he was sick that was all he wanted. it helped keep him calm and get rested.
    Just hang in there and keep praying for the strength that you need! Good luck!

If you need some healthy supplement ideas for keeping your los well, feel free to pm me. We went through LOTS of illness the first year my toddler was in dc (even pnemonia ). So, we learned some very helpful ways to stay healthy. His immune system is very strong now - it does get better after the first year or so.

Thinking of you. I am also a teacher and went back to work when my son was only 6 weeks old. It was SO hard. I hope things are going better now.
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th