Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping - help!

Default Pumping - help!

Up until now, I was nursing my baby on one side only so it was easy to pump because I would just pump the other breast. However now my baby nurses on both sides at each feeding so I'm wondering when would be a good time to pump? There's really not much milk left right after our nursing sessions and I'm afraid that if I pump to close to the next one, my baby won't get enough then. What is the solution? Some people told me to pump an hour after I've fed my baby and I've tried it but I don't seem to get a lot...maybe one ounce or two. I really don't plan on pumping that often but I like to have the option if I need to step out of the house for a few hours and leave my baby with my husband. Any suggestions or advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Pumping - help!

I pump after my LO goes to bed at night, and then again when he wakes up in the middle of the night. I get the most milk during that middle of the night session. Sometimes I pump after each nursing session just to empty myself. That might add up to only 1 ounce a day. The total of all of this gives me enough to take with me when we go out, because sometimes my LO doesn't nurse well when we're not in our normal spot at home. Hope that helps!
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

Default Re: Pumping - help!

i have the same problem. i need to establish a bit of a stash of BM. but im like you i dont wanna pump and him not have enough to eat the next time. Also my LO is very unpredictable. sometimes he eats after just an hour! hopefully i can get some pumping time in soon! i do know the more you pump the more your body will produce...
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.