Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to stop night breast feeds?

Default How to stop night breast feeds?

Hi,
    I want to stop bf at night and instead give him a bottle of expressed milk for his one night feed. This would mean he will last breast feed at 10pm and then in the morning at 7am. How will this affect my supply? I was thinking that for the first few weeks i might have to get up and express anyway, decreasing how much. I'm really not sure at all. I do want to bf longterm so really want to protect my supply, but also can't keep doing these broken sleep nights indefinitely.

Advice really appreciated.
    since 14 May 2008

Default Re: How to stop night breast feeds?

Your LO still seems so young to cut out his night feeds for good. Can you nap during the day when your LO naps?

I nightweaned after my DD was a year and was eating lots of solids throughout the day.

ETA: In addition to the calories, at this age they really need Mama's touch and security. It's the whole package. We've all been there and it will get easier.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

No i just can't nap. I just lie there and my mind goes round and round. The reason i want to go to ebm is so that someone other than me can give it sometimes. He'll still get the love and cuddles and the milk. It just frees me up from always being the one to do it. I also want his nana to have him overnight in a few weeks so need to get him used to it.
    since 14 May 2008

My 4 1/2 month DS started to sleep from 8:30pm to about 9:00am at about 3 1/2 months. I thought at first, 'this is great'. The first few times I slept the entire time and was soaked and in pain in the morning. Now I may get up and pump or feed him once around 2am or 6am and put him back to bed. As long as I feed him once I do ok. I work during the day so may pump in the middle of the night to get milk for the next day.

Don't worry you will get your sleep soon.
    Proud mother to a 24 wk preemie girl, born 9/6/04 and to a full term baby boy, born 4/9/08.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kiwiang View Post
    Hi,
    I want to stop bf at night and instead give him a bottle of expressed milk for his one night feed.
    Ok, sounds like you still want to feed lo bm when lo wakes at night, you'd just like someone else to help you so you can get some sleep? I think if lo is still waking and feeding at night it'll be difficult for you to keep your supply up for the missed feeding. So...say for the first few days you get up and pump while someone feeds lo so you won't become engorged (I would space it out 1/2 hr each night until you're able to make it through the night without engorged breasts ie. 2:00, 2:30, 3:00 and so on), what will you have to feed lo when lo continues to wake in the night and you're not pumping for that feeding? I'm just wondering if you're planning on supplementing with formula or hoping to have enough bm to continue ebm through the night? I think you need to do what works best for you and your family. If you want to continue feeding ebm during the night I would definitely pump after you feed your lo in the morning. Pump until your breasts are empty because you will loose the night supply. I don't think it'll effect your daytime supply but I'm still night feeding at over one year so I'm not certain. Most women experience fuller breasts in the morning so that will be your best option for obtaining extra milk. I'd also consider pumping after your last night feed. HTH Let us know if we can help you in other way
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

I plan to like you say express through the night gradually getting less and less, later and later so should get a good stockpile from that. I express in the morning a bit off one breast first and then empty both breasts after he's finished so i'm hoping that i'll be able to use this. I'm also hoping that eventually he'll just not need that night feed anymore.

We don't want him to have formula so that just isn't an option. It has to be ebm so whatever i come up with i want it to work so i can keep my supply longterm.

Your suggestion is pretty much what i was thinking so maybe we'll just have to give it a go.
    since 14 May 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolamomma View Post
    We've all been there and it will get easier.
    It doesn't last forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kiwiang View Post
    No i just can't nap. I just lie there and my mind goes round and round. The reason i want to go to ebm is so that someone other than me can give it sometimes. He'll still get the love and cuddles and the milk. It just frees me up from always being the one to do it. I also want his nana to have him overnight in a few weeks so need to get him used to it.
    Do you have plans or do you just want a night away? Either way, you can still have nana watch him over night and just pump that night. You don't have to stop waking to feed him.
    Do you cosleep? It makes nightfeeding so much easier, and as time goes on, you don't even have to wake fully to feed baby. Sleeping is so much more restful for everyone.
    I understand about the not being able to sleep when baby sleeps and you mind going round and round. Mine did that too when he would be sleeping anywhere else but beside me or in my arms. Do you try to nap with him or just at the same time as him?
    How old is your LO?
    ETA: Nightfeeding helps establish your supply for the day, if I remember correctly, so if you really want to bf for the long term, you may want to hold off on this for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    It doesn't last forever.

Do you have plans or do you just want a night away? Either way, you can still have nana watch him over night and just pump that night. You don't have to stop waking to feed him.
    Do you cosleep? It makes nightfeeding so much easier, and as time goes on, you don't even have to wake fully to feed baby. Sleeping is so much more restful for everyone....

ETA: Nightfeeding helps establish your supply for the day, if I remember correctly, so if you really want to bf for the long term, you may want to hold off on this for a while.

I was also going to say the same... if you have no real need for it - it might be best to hold off for a while at least... how often does he wake at night? Will you not be wakened if he does wake up and someone gives a bottle to him?
    Last edited by @llli*number3; August 28th, 2008 at 11:12 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Hi there! I know what it feels like when you just don't want to get up anymore in the middle of the night - I think we all have BTDT! But just speaking from experience, your LO's sleeping habits are going to change dramatically over the next several months. If you start giving an expressed bottle at night, he may stop waking eventually to take it, but once a milestone/growth spurt/teething begins, everything will go back to how it was in the beginning.

When my DD was around 2-3 months, I would often pump at night while DH gave her a bottle. Eventually it just got so annoying to be attached to a pump in the middle of the night and there really was no point in both of us being awake, so I started putting her to the breast again. It made things so much simpler AND she automatically drifts off to sleep in the middle of the night when she is nursing. With a bottle, she never did.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.