Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hiccups

Default Hiccups

I have a 6 week old that seems to get the hiccups all the time. Is there something im doing wrong? Food,position of feeding that causes these. He is not the best latcher (We call him the Gourmet Diner)and not a good burper.

Darby

Default Re: Hiccups

DD has always had hiccups! even when she was in my belly she had them ALL THE TIME! her ped told me that her hiccups (2-3 x/ day) were actually quite normal. i've just noticed (she's almost 12 wks) w/in the past few days she is getting them much less. maybe only once every couple of days. at 6 weeks though she had them about 3 times per day. i've heard there's nothing you can really do to prevent them & they do not cause the baby distress unless he/she is trying to eat when they occur. HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by sdrogers
    I have a 6 week old that seems to get the hiccups all the time. Is there something im doing wrong? Food,position of feeding that causes these. He is not the best latcher (We call him the Gourmet Diner)and not a good burper.

Darby
    any other symptoms? fussiness while eating or anything?

Nope! No worries It's just a sign that the nervous system is still a bit immature. He'll grow out of it! You can continue to nurse him, even if he's hiccupping (spelling?)!

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

DS gets them alot too. They don't bother him unless he has them for a long period of time. I've noticed that if I nurse him they tend to stop.

prissanna - i noticed the same thing. i heard they may get frustrated when trying to nurse w/ them, but usually nursing makes them stop.

I have also noticed that nursing makes hiccups stop for my twins.
    SAHW to C and SAHM to my identical boys J & A born 1/7/06 & my little girl K born 8/21/08.

thanks for the info. They o stop when i nurse him so ill kep that up.

also, if the hiccups bother you, you could try and give your baby a little bit of colic ease gripe water. i gave it to my dd cause she was a bit gassy and it helped...but it also made the hiccups go away!
    http://www.colicease.com/

no need to give anything to stop hiccups. its actually the sign thar ur baby is growing. usually hiccups are a sign that ur baby's intake is growing. u can see them at growth spurt stages very often.