Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help!

Default help!

hi all!!

i cant believe i found this board,some of the stuff has been helpful! we have been bf'ing for 3wks (my 3rd boy but my 1st bf baby) and usually it goes well.
    my issue right now is that today is one of the those days where we havent left the couch bc he seems to be eating every hr to every half an hr. it started at about 10am and now its 6pm. he hasnt had a good solid sleep only cat naps at the breast, when i set him down he cries. the pacifier dosent work and i dont know what else to do.

any ideas?

rachael

Default Re: help!

Babies tend to hit growth spurts in 3's -- so, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 12 weeks, etc.

It might be a growth spurt since he is 3 weeks old. You're doing the right thing by allowing baby to meet all of his sucking needs at the breast. He's telling your body that he needs more to eat. If you allow him to nurse on demand then your milk supply should increase accordingly in about 24 hours. Tomorrow you may see him sleeping more.

Sounds like you're doing great so keep it up!

Nods. Here's some info on growth spurts:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/spurt.html

How's it going now? An update?

Sounds like a growth spurt! Hang in there, it will end. (Although sometimes, it seems like they go on for weeks! ) Stay rested and hydrated!

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie
    Nods. Here's some info on growth spurts:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/spurt.html

How's it going now? An update?
    Hi Joie
    sorry this update didnt come sooner-dh had the computer with him all week while he was gone. well it was 3 days of the me and the baby as one with the couch and then the night of the 3rd day he slept 5.5 hrs-happend 2 nights in a row. he was very happy and alert for a few days and now we are back to catnaps during the day and marathon nursing sessions(1hr+ both sides sometimes), makes it hard to do anything or go anywhere. i was getting him into a routine at night but he chucked that out the window last night. right now i am just going along with it all and nursing when he wants to. nursing is so so diferent then formula feeding!

as a sidenote he now weighs 8lbs 2oz-birth weight was 6lbs 9oz. so i guess hes getting enough to eat!

rachael

I experienced the same thing. Thank goodness my dh has a lot of patience. When I couldn't stand it and needed a break for 10 minutes he was able to keep ds calm enough for me to breathe. Ds was 9 lbs 14 oz at birth and at 4 week check up he was at 12 lb 4 oz. Now at 7 weeks he is sleeping from 10pm to 2 am and then after eating he sleeps until 5:30 ish. Keep up the wonderful job; it really does level out although it feels like it never will! (by the way he is at least 14 lbs now)

I remember those days, and these too shall pass. Have you tried putting him in the sling? swaddling very tightly? white noise machine? Just thought these might help?