Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baby doesn't like nursing - sad

Default baby doesn't like nursing - sad

Does anyone else have a LO who seems to BF only for food and beyond that does not seem to enjoy it? My DS is 9 months and ever since he was 4 mos old has hardly ever nursed for comfort (unless he is really tired but then it's more like he just falls asleep while BF and keeps on sucking). Even at night when he's really tired before bedtime, he will unlatch and scream and then I just end up bouncing him to sleep.

I have heard a lot of other BF moms say that their LO has hardly ever refused the breast. Mine refuses it all the time! If I make the mistake to dare to offer it when I think he's hungry, but he turns out not to be hungry, watch out. He doesn't just turn his head or refuse to open his mouth, he cries. I have never had any trouble with OS/OALD and when he does nurse it usually goes pretty smoothly, although he gets done in as little as 3 minutes a lot of times and when he is done, he's DONE. Also he doesn't make any eye contact while nursing. He is healthy and growing well, meeting all milestones, etc. He has great eye contact at all other times!

I feel so rejected and I really want to BF him for as long as possible, and as long as he wants to, and I hope he wants to go to at least a year.

Has anyone ever had this issue and then as the LO got older, they seemed to like it more?

Default Re: baby doesn't like nursing - sad

That was us to a T. DD was around a year old when she finally started making eye contact and really starting to enjoy nursing. Hang in there! You'll reach that point where it becomes fun for both of you.

DS was like that, too. He wouldn't nurse if we weren't at home, had many strikes, only nursed for a few minutes at a time, etc. At some point he started to calm down, then around 15 to 18 months, he started nursing for 10-15 minutes at a times sometimes. He's still nursing with just a bit of colostrum at 2 and a half and doesn't seem to be interested in stopping any time soon. Hang in there! Things sometimes do change. He still doesn't comfort nurse, per se, but he does seem to really need that time to reconnect with momma.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

We are at 11 months, and this exactly describes my LO! She has never really nursed for comfort that much, and as soon as she's done, she's done with that session and there's no convincing her to nurse any more!! Even tonight she was overly tired when I was trying to put her to bed, and I could hardly get her to nurse at all! I pumped after our nursing session and got around 4 ounces, so I know she didn't nurse that well... I am also hoping that at some point she starts to enjoy it more. I love looking at her face while we're nursing and I'm hoping maybe someday she'll return the eye contact.

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Ally was the same way. We were done nursing by the time she was 7.5 months. She simply wasn't interested by that time, was very efficient and only nursed 5 mins at the most then was done. All that in addition to a pump that didn't work well for me and, well, my supply was basically gone...Hoping it gets better for you soon!
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Does LO take a bottle or pacifier? If so you may want to do away with them if you can. Other wise the only advice is to offer often and talk to Lo when nursing. I hope it gets better for you soon
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Sounds like my LO. He cries most of the time when I try to nurse him, even when he's hungry. Sometimes he'll go ahead and eat, sometimes not. It's hard not to feel rejected!
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

That was Shiloh. I cried when he weaned at 14 months....but I knew he was only nursing 3x a day at 9 months

Oh, and if I offered when he wasn't hungry....he'd bite the SNOT out of me
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    That was Shiloh. I cried when he weaned at 14 months....but I knew he was only nursing 3x a day at 9 months

Oh, and if I offered when he wasn't hungry....he'd bite the SNOT out of me

I forsee my LO weaning at a somewhat young age too... Honestly, I think she would wean pretty easily right now if I quit offering. But my goal is to make it to a year (~1 more month), and we'll see what happens then.

Oh, and for the first time earlier this evening, my LO BIT ME! I didn't mean to, but I screamed "OUCH!" I think I scared her a little cause she sorta started crying, but I just couldn't help it! It just came out! Anyway, she was being sorta fussy and then just clamped down! Man, that hurts, and she only has 1 tooth on the bottom that's barely coming in! What the heck am I gonna do when she gets even more teeth?!?

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Thank you all for your input. It is so hard not to feel rejected. It really seems like he could care less about nursing most of the time. In answer to pp's question, DS never gets a bottle (the last time we even tried it was 3 months ago for a special event) and he does not use a pacifier. I'm encouraged by those of you who say that as your LO's got older some of them seemed to like it more. I really don't see that happening with us, but I'm really hoping it gets better. It seems so unfair that here I am, so willing and wanting to do this but he doesn't really seem to want it or enjoy it!