Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Questions

Default Pumping Questions

I read the posts in this forum all the time, and yet I still feel like I don't know anything. I can't seem to get on a regular pumping schedule with DD. I try to pump twice when I am at work, but it's hardly ever at the same times. I don't even have a regular work schedule, really. On Wednesdays and Friday, DD and I go to a mom's group until 11:30, then I bring her to daycare. Every other day, she is there by 9. On days when I drop her off at 9, I nurse her before I leave. Sometimes I pick her up at 230 or 330, other times at 4. I usually try to feed her when I pick her up as well. And on days when I work 9-4, I try to go to the daycare at least one other time to feed her. (I figure this way it's less that I have to pump.)

I'm having trouble finding time to pump at home. I have four other kids at home, plus my hubby. He says I should look at my pump time as 10-15 minutes to myself away from the hustle and bustle. I guess my question is when should I pump? Should I do it right after DD nurses, or should I wait 15-30 miutes before I do it? I know everyone says there will always be milk there if DD wants to nurse after I pump, but I'm like any other mom who worries that there won't be. And if I do pump after she nurses, is this going to increase my supply, and will that be good or bad?

My goal is to be able to have four 3-oz bottles to send to daycare each day. I don't have a freezer stash at all. I just pump what DD needs for the next day, which is somewhat stressful b/c I never feel like I have enough pumped.

Help!!
    Wife to Phil
    Stepmama to Tyler age 10, Talia age 8, and McKayla age 7
    Mama to Riley, age 4 (almost 5) and sweet baby Zoey, 10 months

Default Re: Pumping Questions

Getting the whole pumping/nursing dance can be so confusing! Sounds like you're doing a good job, though.

I wouldn't worry too much about pumping at different times during the work day. A schedule is helpful because your body comes to expect that, but not every job lends itself to a regular schedule. How much of what you need for DD do you get pumping at work?

4 bottles of 3 oz seems like a lot for DD to take between 9 and 4, especially if you're going to nurse once yourself (I gather from your sig, she's 2 months?). Is she taking all of that? Do you think they might be offering her bottles when she's not really hungry? DCP can sometimes mistake "I need to be held" crying for "I'm hungry" crying.

In terms of pumping at home, does DD nurse on both sides? Could you pump the side she doesn't nurse on after you feed her? If pumping right after she nurses doesn't yield enough, you could certainly wait 30 minutes or so and pump without effecting her next nursing session. You might also try pumping in the am - some moms find they get more then.

Hope the helps a bit. Let us know how it's going.
    Mom to A&B (we're 3!) and baby M