Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have milk envy

Red face I have milk envy

So there's a new 6 month old baby who has just transitioned up into my DD's room at daycare (my LO is nearly 11 mos, in a room that has 6-12 month old babies.) The new little girl is being nursed by her mama, and her mama pumps for her daycare bottles. That mama is able to pump enough milk to send 4 bottles 6oz. each, plus an extra 4oz emergency bottle! That's like 28 ounces per day (and that's just for her to drink during the 9-10 hours she's at daycare... she still gets nursed at home) So today I finally get to meet this milk abundant mama, I told her how much I envy her ability to produce so much milk, and I ask her how she does it?? She tells me she pumps 3 times at work, and gets up during the night to pump too. Now that's dedication! I refuse to get up at night (unless DD wakes up), I only pump twice at work, and once before I go to bed, and I'm lucky if I get 12oz. total per day. I usually make 3 bottles with 4oz each, and I also send a few empty bottles for daycare to put formula in (daycare provides formula) if DD is still hungry after her BM is finished. Anyway, just wanted to bow down to all you mamas who can produce so much milk for your LO's! I envy you greatly!!

Buff

P.S. You would think with the little girl drinking so much mama milk that she would be a little chunker, but she's really not! She seems like a tiny little thing to me (well, compared to my 11 month old, she probably is!)
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Default Re: I have milk envy

Sheesh! Me too!

I pump all day long, chow down the galactagogues, and I don't get near that much!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Sheesh! Me too!

I pump all day long, chow down the galactagogues, and I don't get near that much!
    Yeah, I'm also chowing down on the galactagogues (I'm taking Fenugreek and domperidone), and still getting what I consider minimal pump output! I'm afraid to know what would happen to my supply if I quit taking Fenugreek and domperidone...

Buff

My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Wow! When I was at full pump schedule I was getting 12-14oz after 3 sessions at work and thought I was ahead of the curve! Do you think her LO really drinks all that? Gosh, I'd hate to think that I was pumping that much and have some of it wasted (half finished bottles). If I was that mama I'd be asking daycare to confirm she's drinking it all and if not, I'd totally throw that middle of the night pumping session out the window!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

My SIL was like that, she exclusively pumped for her LO and she would come down with bags, and bags of milk to put in the fridge!! I swear she is part cow! I think she had a really good pump though, so that probably helped.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

[QUOTE=@llli*buff24;565225] That mama is able to pump enough milk to send 4 bottles 6oz. each, plus an extra 4oz emergency bottle! That's like 28 ounces per day (and that's just for her to drink during the 9-10 hours she's at daycare... she still gets nursed at home) Buff

QUOTE]

Thats all i get in a day!
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

holy moly 28 oz for a 10 hour period?! that kinda sounds like she's being overfed.

that's more than most kids take in 24 hours.. but maybe she doesn't really eat that much?

I'm really not sure if she finishes all those bottles or not... all I know is I saw her bottles sitting out on the counter briefly and I was like !!! I will have to ask the caregivers if she's really drinking that much during the time she's at daycare... From the looks of her, she doesn't look overfed, she's not very chunky, but not thin either??

Buff

I hope she is drinking it all! i was so mad today when lo only drank 3 oz from her 5 oz bottle and i got there early and had to figure out what to do with the 5.5 oz that i defrosted for her second bottle!! (I mixed some of it with her dinner) But i hate to dump what i pump! and i'm a good pumper, usually 8-10 oz in a session, when i'm full...

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

My friend that I used to babysit for that has triplets...she exclusively pumped 8x a day for 13 months. She took blessed thistle and fenugreek. She pumped anywhere from 64-72ozs a day. It was INSANE. She seriously was a jersey cow She quit at 13 months when her medela finally crapped out
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!