Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Suggestions?

Default Any Suggestions?

My 8 month old DS is not at all interested in solids yet. We started with sweet potatoes a few weeks ago which he loved at first, then by the next day he decided he was not interested. Since then we have tried applesauce and bananas and he is still not interested. He purses his lips tightly and turns his head. I know that he does not "have" to take solids right now....so I am wondering, should I keep trying everyday to see if he will eventually like it, or should I just give it up for now and then try again in a month or two? We have only tried jarred babyfood as of now. TIA

Default Re: Any Suggestions?

Have you tried the jarred babyfood yourself? We did when our first LO started to refuse it, and the most common brand around was absolutely horrible.

We then tried Heinz, which our son did like, but we found that what he really loved was fresh food that we pureed or mashed up. We got to the point that we would "make" his food with whatever we were eating for that particular meal. (We just made sure to add salt or butter to foods on our plates, and not while cooking until LO was older, and if we used canned fruits, to get the natural no sugar added ones.) From then on, we saved the jarred foods which he did tolerate for in the car or on the go, and just gave him what we were eating, although we did go slow and check for allergies according to the recommended guidelines for the little ones.

Try that, or maybe try some finger foods that LO can play with and pick up but can't choke on (maybe cheerios?), and a little bowl and spoon so LO can make a mess and maybe get some mashed or pureed food in and swallowed at the same time. Good Luck!

You know, I did try the jarred babyfood, LOL! Grant it, it was applesauce, bananas and sweet potatoes....all very sweet and not that bad tasting!

He won't even open his mouth to try it, so I dont know if changing brands would even help at this point. If I have to give him his motrin, which he loves, he opens his mouth so wide and waits for it....go figure!

Unfortunately he suffers from eczema and has tested positive to corn, milk, egg and wheat....(not sure yet what his reaction would be if he had any of those foods in solid form). We will eventually do a food challenge on him once he is old enough (and taking solids). So with that said, I cannot give him alot of the typical finger foods that most babies tend to eat. I might just try sitting him in the highchair and letting him try to feed himself....oh that sounds VERY messy !!!

Quote Originally Posted by AVL
    You know, I did try the jarred babyfood, LOL! Grant it, it was applesauce, bananas and sweet potatoes....all very sweet and not that bad tasting!

He won't even open his mouth to try it, so I dont know if changing brands would even help at this point. If I have to give him his motrin, which he loves, he opens his mouth so wide and waits for it....go figure!

Unfortunately he suffers from eczema and has tested positive to corn, milk, egg and wheat....(not sure yet what his reaction would be if he had any of those foods in solid form). We will eventually do a food challenge on him once he is old enough (and taking solids). So with that said, I cannot give him alot of the typical finger foods that most babies tend to eat. I might just try sitting him in the highchair and letting him try to feed himself....oh that sounds VERY messy !!!
    You know when I got here I was relieved at the prospect of not HAVING to feed him anything for at least a year. Now as we experiment, I feel so good that there's no pressure for him or me! Paint-the-moon posted this great article about EBF babies and why it's a really good idea to let them eat finger foods...and it's all we do! (Except Yogurt). If he's turning his head I'd let it go. You don't want him to DREAD eating or being in the highchair.
    But with what you said about finger foods,,,it can be anything long enough for them to get their fist around and still bite and suck on. Including long thirds of bannas, snap peas, watermelon cut in long thing strips (very rewarding for baby and has iron in it) pieces of avacado, long pieces of apple or pear ect.
    Just so you know it is very messy but those plastic bibs with the pockets help! But we try to give DJ something when ever we sit down so he gets the ritual of mealtime. Most days it's banana or watermelon. Yes he's messy but I'm so thrilled that he even has figured out to put these things to his mouth and taste them! ANd he really enjoys mealtime because he feels like he's "included". Just my thoughts...

At 8 mo ds started refusing to let me spoon feed him, so I just let him feed himself. Yes, it was messy but also a lot less stressful than actually trying to feed him with a spoon. I gave him finger foods and also jarred food in a boul with a spoon. At first, he'd just stick his hands in the food and suck it off, but eventually he did learn how to use a spoon. By 10 mo he could feed himself well with a spoon and was using a fork as well by 12 mo. He has always been very independant about such things and also wants to be grown up like his mommy and daddy.

I undrestand that alergies can be a real problem, but they certainly don't rule out all possible finger foods! lol Here is a list of some finger foods you might want to offer him:

Squashed ripe or thawed frozen blueberries (blueberries are not actually berries, so they are actually VERY low on the alergy risk scale and can be offered from 6 mo)
    Steamed or baked sweet potao or yam, cut into bite sized pieces
    Banana slices
    Bite sized chunks of ripe avacado (may be an alergy risk for some babies, but is extremely healthy)
    Puffed rice cereal
    Plain cooked brown rice
    Plain cooked oatmeal
    Very thin slivers of ripe pear
    Grated or shreded cooked turkey or lamb (turkey and lamb are two of the least alergenic meats)
    Mashed potaoes (add no milk unless it's breastmilk and add no butter, salt, or anythign else)
    Brocoli or Califlower florettes, steamed till soft
    Steamed or baked squash, cut into bite sized pieces

Hope this helps!

My dd is 7 mo. old and just have 2 bottom front teeth (just starting popping out from the gum). Can she eat finger food?

Also, she doesn't really like cereal, and I am still breast-feeding her. Will she be lack of iron because she doesn't eat much cereal, maybe just 2 or 3 table spoon for the whole day.

Quote Originally Posted by SKL
    My dd is 7 mo. old and just have 2 bottom front teeth (just starting popping out from the gum). Can she eat finger food?

Also, she doesn't really like cereal, and I am still breast-feeding her. Will she be lack of iron because she doesn't eat much cereal, maybe just 2 or 3 table spoon for the whole day.
    If she can pick food up and put it her her mouth, then yes she can eat finger foods. Teeh has nothing to do with it. Ds got his first two teeth at 8 mo and was happly gumming finger foods long before that. In fact, at 15 mo he still doesn't have any molars, so he's still gumming everything. I really don't see the big deal about teeth and finger foods; it's not like you're going to offer raw carrots or nuts I hope.
    To answer your question about Iron:
    From http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/vitamin.html
    Iron--According to THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, published by LLLI, the iron in human milk is better absorbed by your baby than is the iron in cow's milk or iron-fortified formula. This means that the quantity of iron in human milk is appropriate for baby instead of the larger quantity in cow's milk. The full-term healthy baby usually has no need of additional iron until about the middle of his first year, around the time he starts taking solids. The high lactose ad vitamin C levels in human milk aid the absorption of iron, and breastfed babies do not lose iron through their bowels.

If there is concern about the baby's iron levels, a simple hemoglobin test can be done in the doctor's office. If necessary, it is easy to offer the baby foods which are naturally rich in iron. However, iron drops and iron-fortified foods sometimes cause digestive upsets when given to babies and can actually reduce the efficiency of iron absorption.

Women are often advised to continue to take prenatal vitamins as long as they are breastfeeding and these vitamins often include a large dose of iron. The iron levels in a mother's milk are not affected by the amount of iron in her diet or by iron supplements she may take.
    Also, here is another site (not LLL) with information on iron and bf babies (it's very long and extensive, so I won't copy and paste it here):
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom
    You know when I got here I was relieved at the prospect of not HAVING to feed him anything for at least a year. Now as we experiment, I feel so good that there's no pressure for him or me! Paint-the-moon posted this great article about EBF babies and why it's a really good idea to let them eat finger foods...and it's all we do! (Except Yogurt).
    Here is that link ...

Baby Led Introduction to Solid Foods

It's a great article ... we are doing this with our little one. She is having FUN trying new foods because she's doing it on her terms (instead of having a spoon full of mush shoved at her mouth). Watermelon is a favorite of Adeline's too. I think that it's a fun food for them since they can easily hold it in their little fists, they get lots of juice and it feels good against their gums. All of it is extremely messy ... but that is half the fun! This morning she tried some organic nectarine ... the look on her face when it hit her tongue was priceless (not an, "oh yummy" look, but a "what the heck is THIS sour thing" look). I was in tears from laughing so hard because she'd put a piece in her mouth, squint and blink her eyes (she looked like Popeye with one eye shut the whole time), kick her legs like she was having little spasms ... I think it was all just so new to her, and it was a bit sour for her probably ... but she kept putting more in her mouth. She never actually swallowed any ... she'd chew on it a few seconds then spit it back out. Anyway, it's great fun watching them explore all this new stuff on their own terms!

The bibs with pockets DJ's mom mentioned help a bit (we like the Bumkins because they've got the "Junior Bib" with little sleeves and the pocket since our girl manages to get the food EVERYWHERE, and when she doesn't need it for eating anymore she can use it for a smock for art projects) ... we actually have one of these baby "tarps" we use now which can help floor clean ups. But generally we just get ready to have a bath after her "tasting sessions" because baby wipes can only clean so much!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thank you so much for the replies. We do not have our highchair up and assembled yet, but I think I will make that a priority this week. I have thought about just letting DS feed himself and will certainly try it. I think just a diaper and a big ole bib is what he will wear, no clothes

Paint the moon...I LOVED the pictures of Adeline eating watermelon, what a cutie! I also found the article you posted very interesting and helpful.

I have not tried the spoon feeding in a few days now bc I just did not want to turn him off even more to solids (you would think by the way he was acting that I was forcing it on him, when I really wasn't...maybe he felt I was???? I don't know).

It always helps to know what has worked for everyone's LO's...thanks again!

DS would NOT eat if I tried to spoon feed him. He insisted, even at 7 months, which is when we started solids, on feeding himself. I gave him a spoon and let him go for it, even yogurt when we got around to that.

There are LOTS of things you can try that aren't the typical finger foods.

As far as the mess. . . .take off the clothes. Use a bib with a pocket (I even used one with sleeves). Put an old shower curtain down under the high chair. Let the baby have at it.

Solids should be fun, not work for mom and baby.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!