Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Questions Regarding Reglan

Default Questions Regarding Reglan

My questions:

How long can you safely take Reglan and has anyone out there had diminished milk supply when they stopped taking it?

Also, has anyone heard of a connection between low amniotic fluid during pregnancy and low milk supply?

Here is my situation...As a first time mom, I was convinced my milk supply was low (LO was gaining 1/2 oz a day). I had already been talked into supplementing at the hospital which didn't help. After all the pumping tricks and fenugreek (which helped a little), I tried Reglan.

The Reglan worked. I began feeling let downs, squirting milk and my LO was feeding less often and more effeciently. Then I became very constipated and my LO went from a dirty diaper a day to once a week when I prompted with a little touch of prune juice. He was also painfully fussy one day so when we brought him to the ped, she recommended getting off the Reglan. I weaned too quickly cutting back to half a pill (5mg) in just a few days. My supply sufferred and definitely seemed to be worse than before. I am now back up to 10 mg, with a so-so milk supply. I am fearing the side effects if I go back on 30 mg but also fearing the loss of ability to breast feed if I stop the Reglan. Oh, by the way, my LO is 3 months old. Any ideas why I am having this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Questions Regarding Reglan

I guess I would start with the usual question of "what makes you concerned that you don't have enough milk?".

I never went through a phase where I was "squirting milk" - never felt my letdowns, never got "full" feeling. So I never got all the signs that are associated with "getting your supply". But I did in the end have adequate supply for my baby, despite never having these things. So even if your supply decreases, you may have "enough". Does that make sense?

Not being a medical professional, I think it's likely that going off Reglan would cause a decrease in your supply, at least in the short term. Have you talked to the doctor that prescribed it, or was that the ped?

How long can you safely take Reglan and has anyone out there had diminished milk supply when they stopped taking it?
    As far as I know, Reglan is safe to take for long time periods- maybe not years, but certainly weeks and probably months- as long as you are not experiencing side effects like depression. I was told that cutting back on Reglan too abruptly can cause a decrease in milk supply.

Also, has anyone heard of a connection between low amniotic fluid during pregnancy and low milk supply?
    Nope, that's a new one for me. But I have heard that not drinking enough water can be to blame for both. Any chance of that being an issue for you?

The Reglan worked. I began feeling let downs, squirting milk and my LO was feeding less often and more effeciently.
    Many women with perfectly adequate milk supplies never feel letdowns or see squirting milk. Is there any reason other than not feeling/seeing these things that makes you think you have supply issues?

Then I became very constipated and my LO went from a dirty diaper a day to once a week when I prompted with a little touch of prune juice.
    It is normal for a breastfed baby to go up to a week without a bowel movement. At a certain point in time (different for every baby), the baby's gut matures and begins to digest mama's milk very thoroughly. Once that happens, bowel movements may slow way down. So long as the poop is passed without pain and is not hard, it's normal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the help. I guess I was just nervous about my supply from the beginning. I am not really sure if my supply was too low to begin with! He was always gaining weight, just not the full ounce the doctors would have liked to see. I am scared to go off the Reglan completely though, since I weaned off too quickly the first time. I have now "weaned back up", if that makes sense, to 10mg of Reglan and seem to be doing ok.

I would just take it slowly the next time. It sounds like you should do fine with supply as long as you don't shock your system by going off it too fast. I know there's information on the web (from Dr. Newman) about weaning yourself off of Domperidone - I don't know where you would find the right info about Reglan, other than asking your doctor directly. Good luck, I'm sure you can get off of it if you take it slow!