Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP! I messed up

Unhappy HELP! I messed up

I thought I wanted to wean my 6 1/2 month ds. I have been supplementing with bottles for about a week now. About two bottles a day. It was a big mistake. I dont want to wean him. I just got so frustrated because he gets so distracted and does flip flops in my lap while i try to feed him. So I really worry that he is not getting enough. He usually nurses no longer then ten minuateds, but usually for only five or less. I also have a almost three year old very active ds who I am currantly potty training.

I have tried nursing in a darkened quiet white noise room, but that dosnt work. DS comes running in saying Xander sleeping or Xander eating? (I have closed the door but he stands out there and yells for me I have also trying putting a movie on) Its so cute but baby gets distracted and dosnt want to nurse any more. I have tried laying down with him but he will suck alittle and roll away and smile and then roll back and nurse and repeat. He is so sweet but I cant spend all day laying in bed and nursing him like that.

Anyways, can I go back to nursing full time? Did I hurt my supply to the point that I cant? Do you have any advice on how to keep him from getting so distracted? If I can how do i build my supply back up. I want to nurse for the full year.

I nursed my first for six months then at his six month check up he only gained four ounces so i panicked and put him on formula. I think that is one reason why i am so nervous that DS #2 not getting enough. I know he is cause he looks great is happy and hitting all his mile stones. I just cant help but worry.

I am sorry that this is so long but I really need help and I wanted to let you guys know what all i have done. Thank you!

Anne

Default Re: HELP! I messed up

Check this link out:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo....html#increase

Try increasing feedings or pump every 1.5 to 2 hours.

Smile Re: HELP! I messed up

If you've only supplemented with 2 bottles a day, it shouldn't be a problem. Just do like the last poster said and nurse often. Your supply will build right back up. Don't worry.

Deb

(((hugs)))

On the issue of distraction, it's a pretty common thing at this age. I have found that this non-LLL resource has given many mothers in your situation a few ideas:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-bab...g-manners.html
    And this one, too:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ible-baby.html

Many older babies can get all the milk they need in short nursing sessions. Five to ten minutes may be all your baby needs to be full! However, do continue to offer to nurse as frequently as he will take it.

No worries about your milk production! You can get it back. Just nurse as often as your baby will take it. Watch his wet/dirty diapers to be sure that he is getting enough milk.
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

About the weight gain, had your ds been gaining steadily until this last appointment? Was he weighed on the same scale? With the same amount of clothes on?

It was my first baby that did not gain well. Xander gained 1lb 4oz at his six month check up. He is right on his curve. I think my first experiance is why I am so paranoid about Xander not getting enough with him being so distracted. I should just chill and trust that he will not let himself starve.

I was reading about distracted babies last month and did not think that could happen to my baby. Well it has. She's 4 months and sometimes she'll only nurse for about 5 minutes, get distracted, look up and smile, go back for a second and then repeat. You can't help but smile back. Like you, I can't sit there all day with the nipple ready. I stop and offer when she seems ready again and sometimes that's just 15 minutes later. I have heard some people have luck with nursing necklaces (I laughed at them at first) and others find they distract even more. They have them on ebay or you could make one out of plastic bead and your older ds may like one too. Maybe you could set up some kind of reward system for her being quiet while you nurse. On one of those nanny shows, they gave the kids a flower to put in the pot each time they did something good. When they got so many flowers they received a reward. Maybe you could offer a flower each time she sat quietly and give some kind of small treat based on the amount of flowers. Best of Luck!