Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids and Breastfeeding - SO confused!

Default Solids and Breastfeeding - SO confused!

I am a first time mom of an 8 month old. We have been adding more solid foods but I am not ready to wean her just yet. Ideally, we would like to wean at 12 months when we will be trying to conceive our next baby. I just don't know how to fit in her solid feedings and nursing sessions and also have enough time for her to nap and to play with her. As of right now, I feed her 5 times a day; about every three hours. The first, third, and last feedings are soley nursing, about twenty minutes per side. The second and fourth feedings are nursing, about 5 minutes per side, followed by 1/4 cup of cereal and a jar of babyfood. Sometimes I feel like I am over feeding her doing it this way. The pediatrician suggested dropping down to 4 nursing sessions a day. She suggested morning, midway between breakfast and lunch, midway between lunch and dinner, and then night. I have also heard to nurse and then follow an hour later by solids. It just seems like I would be feeding her all of the time with little time for naps and play. Can someone help with how much and when I should be feeding her? Maybe with some sample schedules of what your babies are doing or what they did at 8 months? Right now she sleeps 10 hours every night - from about 10 pm to 8am. I never thought this would be that hard! Thank you very much!

Default Re: Solids and Breastfeeding - SO confused!

Here's what we're doing at 7 months:

4 or 5:00 am: Nurse, go back to sleep

7:30 Breakfast - pureed fruit

9:00 nurse down for nap

12:00 lunch ??? sometimes she gets a pureed veggie, sometimes not

1:00 nurse down for nap

3:00 veggie and or cereal

4:00 Nurse

7:00 nurse to sleep

Intermittent nursing during the night, mostly for comfort.

Just so you know, I don't plan to stop breastfeeding at 12 months, so we aren't being very aggressive with the solids. She only eats about 2 tablespoons at each feeding. HTHs

If I were you I would not cut out a nursing just to fit in more solids. Your baby needs more BM than anything the first year. 8 mo is still pretty young to worry about how much solid food they eat and when they do eat they don't need a whole lot. I can't remember what type of schedule I followed w/my older children who are now 7 & 3 but I do remember I always nursed beforehand(until closer to a year old) and usually fed them whenever we sat down for meals as a family. My current LO is still too young for solids but I plan on just to follow her lead.

Thanks so much KBeever and home and happy!
    Your advice definitely helps! Your posts touched on a lot of the things I am confused about. I heard that BM should make up most of her diet and that solids are just for "practice" now, but it seems like my pediatrician thinks that especially the cereal is important for iron. Homeandhappy- you just give 2 tablespoons of cereal for the whole day? To be honest - I feel like that seems to be the right amount - I feel like 1/2 cup per day just seems like too much! I feel stuck between what my pediatrician says and what I feel is right - I sort of feel like I don't know anything - I've never done this before - haha! I LOVE nursing my daughter and I know it is the best thing for her but I almost wouldn't mind dropping one feeding just so that weaning can be super gradual. This is sort of off topic but, it took us a long time to get pregnant with her and one of my issues was with endometriosis. I had surgery to remove it and then conceived her three months later. I know that one of the MANY benefits of nursing is that while I haven't gotten my period back yet, I think that the endometriosis isn't growing back yet either. I also feel like it was so hard for us to get pregnant, I feel like to continue nursing while ttc wouldn't help our chances. But also, my main focus is our daughter and what is right for her so I don't what to stop her cold turkey just because we want to ttc again. I want it to be really gradual for her. I felt like being a mother came so naturally to me until now! I now sort of wish that she nursed during the night or woke up really early to nurse just so I would have time for an extra nursing! As it is, she sleeps through the night but is always up late - a lot of the time I end up falling to sleep while nursing her! This is her "schedule" right now:

9:00 wake up and nurse
    11:00 nap
    12:00 nurse followed immediately by 1/4 cup of oatmeal and jarred fruit
    2:00 nap
    3:00 nurse
    5:00 nap
    6:00 nurse followed immediately by 1/4 cup of oatmeal and jarred veggie or
    meat and veggie
    9:00 nurse to sleep - most of the time for more than an hour

This is how it works when she only sleeps for 30 - 45 minutes at a time. (It takes her a little while to wind down) Sometimes one or two of the naps will go for 90 minutes to two hours and then we are up reeeeaaalllly late! I just feel like there has to be a better way to do it! Sorry for the lengthy post - any suggestions/advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks again!!

First, my theory is do what works for you. If her nap and feeding schedule and amount work for you then stick with it. Every family is different. Every LO is different and there's no one right way.

However, if you this isn't working for you and you want to do something different, would it be possible to drop the evening nap and do bedtime earlier? At that age my DD was taking one morning and one afternoon nap and bedtime was around 7pm. As for food, I agree with PP that we just fed solids during our usual mealtimes. By about 10mos she was eating 3meals and a snack. At 13mos we are still nursing at least 4x's a day and she eats a ton of solids. So it is possible to combine solids with extended BF.

As for TTC, no personal experience, but there are certainly mamas here who've gotten prego while still BF. Only you can decided what's right for you and your LO as far as weaning goes.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Commercial, iron-fortified cereals are often the first foods served to babies who are not breastfeeding because they need the extra iron, but breastfed babies are rarely anemic as the iron in human milk is well-utilized. If there is concern about the baby's iron levels, a simple test can be done in the doctor's office.
    from http://www.llli.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html

This may help you understand where your dr's coming from (ffing) and what the reality is about bfing.

If you aren't absolutely sure about weaning at a year, the best and easiest thing to do is simply to follow your daughter's lead and let her play and experiment. At that age, I was nursing DS on demand (which for us was 10-12 times/24 hours), then usually gave him a bit of my banana at lunch and some homemade sweet potatoes or apples at dinner. (I think at that age it was about 1 ice cube.) We'd give him a bite, eat our dinner for a bit, give him another bite, etc. It certainly was a leisurely thing for us. As he started to pick things up, we added peas, carrots and whole wheat rotini to the mix and gradually added more things as he got older. If we went out of town for the weekend, he would usually simply revert to being exclusively bf and didn't mind a bit.

As far as TTC, a lot of moms who nurse frequently have their periods return around 12-14 months. Of course, there is a huge range, but there's nothing to say that yours won't come back without nursing. And, as long as you are ovulating, there's no solid evidence that nursing impacts TTC or pregnancy. Adventures in Tandem Nursing has a lot of good information about the changes that take place in your body when nursing and pregnant if you are interested in gathering some more information.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Thanks again ladies for your help!
    To be honest - the schedule isn't really working for me. It sort of evolved into this because her naps are really pretty short. I really wish she would take 2 long naps instead of 3 short ones - I would get so much more done around the house! I would also LOVE for her to have an early bedtime! This sounds so selfish but my husband and I haven't been out anywhere together since she was born - it would be so nice to be able to go out to dinner and have a glass of wine - but it is impossible when she needs to nurse for a couple of hours at around 8 or 9. I feel like such a complainer right now - sorry, it has been a long day! I guess this seems to work for her so I don't want to mess things up for her. I just feel like I'm overfeeding with doing the solids right after nursing. To be honest, I think she could drop the solids pretty easily - she doesn't seem to want or need them. Although she has gotten so distracted lately that nursing isn't even easy anymore! Sorry - I feel like I'm just venting now! I'm just tired and confused!! You ladies are wonderful - I would love any additional advice anyone could give!

We haven't started solids yet...and I know I'll prob have a lot of questions when it comes time, but I don't plan on giving my LO a lot of cereal, if any, at all. Cereal is fortified with iron, it is not naturally in it. Watermelon has tons of iron. I plan on giving her that, as long as she likes it.
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09