Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hindmilk imbalance still!

Default hindmilk imbalance still!

After 2 weeks of blockfeeding, my LO (6 wks) is still having green poop. My blocks are 4 hours long, and she usually nurses 2x in that period. I make the blocks longer at night since she usally sleeps a little longer. Should I lengthen my block times? My biggest concern is that since she was 2 mo. preemie and is still sleeping most of the time, that she will "wake up" in the next few weeks and my supply might be to low. Does this seem like a ligit. concern or am I worried about nothing? I have thought about waiting it out until she wakes up more, but I am worried that even though she is gaining weight now, if the imbalance goes on to long she could start to lose weight?
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Default Re: hindmilk imbalance still!

I had foremilk/hindmilk imbalance too. My DD actually gained a ton of weight during that time! I read that unusual weight gain is one effect of f/hmilk imbalance. Is she gassy still? If she's not gassy and is pooping green, I wouldn't worry. BF babies' stools vary in color sometimes. My DD sometimes still poops green but the biggest difference is that she is NEVER gassy now, she sleeps better now and is a happy baby!

My milk supply stabilized after a couple of weeks so I would say to give it some time. I will continue to feed her from only one side at a time until I stop BF (i'm too scared that her problems will come back if I change this method).

Continue to block feed (i've been block feeding for over a month). Are you letting LO feed until she pops off on her own? This is important to ensure she gets to the hindmilk. Monitor her wet diapeys. If she is having plenty of wet diapers then she's doing great.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

She is still gassy, and when she does poop(infrequently) it has a funny consistency. I think I remember my son having the same thing at the beginning of block feeding, but it returned to normal fairly quickly. She has been a little more alert today, so I have been offering more often. hopefully as she becomes more alert, she will nurse more than every 3 hours and get more hindmilk.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*chelseamom View Post
    She is still gassy, and when she does poop(infrequently) it has a funny consistency. I think I remember my son having the same thing at the beginning of block feeding, but it returned to normal fairly quickly. She has been a little more alert today, so I have been offering more often. hopefully as she becomes more alert, she will nurse more than every 3 hours and get more hindmilk.
    Just this week I heard from another LLL Leader that some mothers find that they have to extend their blocks up to 12 hours to see a result. I had not heard that before so want to share it with you. If four hours does not seem to be helping enough, you can consider increasing the length of the block if you'd like.

Hang in there!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLMarianne View Post
    Just this week I heard from another LLL Leader that some mothers find that they have to extend their blocks up to 12 hours to see a result. I had not heard that before so want to share it with you. If four hours does not seem to be helping enough, you can consider increasing the length of the block if you'd like.

Hang in there!
    I saw other threads elsewhere about this, too.

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number1mommy View Post
    I saw other threads elsewhere about this, too.
    LOL It was probably me! When I learn something new, I just keep spurting it out!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Well, we have been doing 12 hour blocks for a week now and she is still pooping green. Does anyone have other ideas to help the inbalance? I think my supply is still pretty high, but I don't know what else to do. Should I just keep up the 12 hour blocks for a while to see if things start to improve?
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

are you drinking lots of cows milk?

my dds green poops didn't go away untill I cut out all cows milk and dairy products.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*chelseamom View Post
    Well, we have been doing 12 hour blocks for a week now and she is still pooping green. Does anyone have other ideas to help the inbalance? I think my supply is still pretty high, but I don't know what else to do. Should I just keep up the 12 hour blocks for a while to see if things start to improve?
    Hmm, I'd expect an improvement after a week of block feeding. Are her poops consistently green, or sometimes not green?

Have you considered using a pump to get out some of the foremilk before putting your baby to the breast? Just a thought.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    are you drinking lots of cows milk?

my dds green poops didn't go away untill I cut out all cows milk and dairy products.
    I agree that it may not be an imbalance after all. It may be some type of food or dairy allergy. My imbalance regulated after only a few days of blockfeeding and my blocks were only 6 hour blocks.

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals: