Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bf etiquettte

Wink Bf etiquettte

Ok, this doesn't bother me too much yet, but would like to hear of others' experiences and ideas.
    My DD, very almost a year old, is an athlete, ballerina, tap dancer, and slippery sausage all rolled into one when she's nursing. She's always been 'active' on the breast, but now she's bigger I end up struggling not to expose every bit above the belt when we're out or in company. I suppose if it is a problem, I could always go and nurse her in private but that option isn't always there.
    What do you ladies do?

Mum to 2 cheeky monkeys

Default Re: Bf etiquettte

After about a year or 15 mos. or so, I limited breastfeeding to more private places. Lo could have other foods and beverages, and so I packed snacks and drinks when we were out shopping and would nurse in the car if I needed to. At other people's houses it was easier, because I could have a comfy chair to sit in and a blanket to cover all the bits that lo's acrobatics would invariably expose. I never covered the boys' heads with the blanket, but I did keep it nearby to cover up what bits of my breast they were exposing Really though, sometime after a year, the boys started going longer between sessions and especially when they were seeing and experiencing new things, so it was never really an issue.

Starting around that age, I'd just tell my DD - If you want to nurse, you need to be still. And then follow through - I'd end the nursing session, offer her a cup of water or a snack. She got the picture in public. At home, I let her be as free and wiggly as she wanted. But she knew that out in public, if she wanted the num num, she'd better be still and get serious.
    Erin
    Mom to Laura (3/1/06)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*laurasmom View Post
    Starting around that age, I'd just tell my DD - If you want to nurse, you need to be still. And then follow through - I'd end the nursing session, offer her a cup of water or a snack. She got the picture in public. At home, I let her be as free and wiggly as she wanted. But she knew that out in public, if she wanted the num num, she'd better be still and get serious.
    We took the same approach and it worked well for us. About 18 months I also started some rules like no ba ba at the table while mama's eating.

Since we don't go out much it's easy enough for me to time our outings around nursing at that age. I'd nurse before we left and nurse again when we got home and that worked great for us.

Setting limits like the other moms mentioned works for most but you can also offer to nurse before leaving and just say not now when out, offer something else. Does LO mind being covered? Are you more worried about others reactions to accidently showing more or your comfort level? Either is understandable but you may take a look in the mirror next time you nurse and home and see what other are seeing. Sometimes it is less then what we realize.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

I've set limits on behaviour from the beginning. My twins know that neither at home nor when in public do I like them to play with my clothes or expose my belly. They fortunately have never been terribly squirmy, but if they are distracted while nursing I let them know that it's not OK to keep popping on and off. Because I try to be consistent in this, they know that if they are doing something that momma doesn't like that numnums will be stopped (after first getting a warning). Same rules for in the house and out; why should I tolerate behaviour in my own home that I wouldn't in public, and vice versa? They get lots of affection while they nurse. They are expected to ask me "please" to nurse, and on their own have started saying "thank you" to my breasts when they are done.

Seems to me that at about the time they learned to walk they went through a phase when they were more distractible -- and it makes sense. They had more mobility and were seeing so many new things. They've grown into very polite, sweet little nurslings (now nearly 29 months).

I suppose it's time to set some boundaries (I can't believe we've reached this stage so quickly!).
    Thanks for your replies!

I started a new post about my son monkeying around...he's 11 1/2 months.

I actually didn't really nurse in front of a lot of people (just my sister, niece, mom, MIL....) that's about it..b/c i have a HUGE family and get togethers are like 20 people and i just didn't feel comfortable w/ the great grandparents and teenage boys (i'm just very shy i guess)

but now, my son is SUCH a squirmer....he just loves to move around, squirm, etc. and it's just different - i can't be even remotely modest while he does this.

So no, i don't NIP anymore, b/c it's just too hard. I just excuse myself and come back 5 min. later!

WAHM and exclusively breastfeeding my naturally born son since 9/25/07.