Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Zoloft and breastfeeding

Question Zoloft and breastfeeding

Am considering Zoloft as a treatment for postpartum anxiety, but I am wary. Anyone have experience with taking an SSRI and breastfeeding?

Default Re: Zoloft and breastfeeding

From my understanding, zoloft is the safest to take while bf. One of the leaders will be able to give you the info from Dr. Hale's book. On a personal note, I'm taking Zoloft 50 mg daily for pp anxiety. I struggled with the decision of whether or not to take it.... the anxiety was paralyzing, horrible panic attacks. The benefits of the meds out weighed the risks for me. I can function now, and am the Mom that I knew I was meant to be.

Best wishes.

I took Zoloft (weaning off it now) for quite some time while BF DD2. No issues. HTH and good luck!

I'm on it now, and it has made life so much better! I can function now and no longer worry that I'm going to lose it with my LO. I take mine for PMDD issues that became really bad a few months ago. I was hesitant at first too, but now I'm so glad I took it. My DD hasn't shown any symptoms from it (your LO doesn't get enough to be affected by it), but she's much happier now that her mommy is more stable! I didn't realize just how badly my moods were affecting her before, and believe me, it was worse than what the drug could possibly do!

I am not taking it now, but was until July. I developed depression and anxiety issues during my pregnancy. My doctor doubled my dose to 50 mg after dd was born. I saw no issues with her. A healthy mommy = a happy, healthy baby. Do what you need to to help take care of you. Has your doc mentioned counseling in addition to medication? It is usually best to treat with both. I hope you feel better soon, anxiety is no fun.
    Josie- SAHM to Amelia born 12/8/07 - Norah 10/10/09 - Baby Girl #3 EDD 9/1/11

Thank you all so much for your responses! I am going to hold off on meds for the time being and see if therapy alone is enough, but it's good to hear from people who have had good experiences with Zoloft.

Birth 7lb 6oz
    1 mo 10lb 8oz
    2 mo 14lb
    4 mo 19lb 1oz
    5 mo 21lbs
    6 mo 23lbs
    7 mo 24lbs