Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Supply Diminishing???!!!????

Question Milk Supply Diminishing???!!!????

My son will be 8 months this coming Thursday. I have breastfed exclussively since birth with little to no problem. We introduced cereal at 5 1/2 months and solids at 6 months with meats added at 7 1/2 months (all per the advice and direction of our pedatrician). I am thinking my milk supply is diminishing because when I go to pump I can barely get an ounce out. He is also getting up every night between 130 a.m.-2am and again between 330 am and 4am. From 3 weeks to 5 months he was sleeping 10 hours a night. My pedatrician said that he doesn't need to be nursed in the middle of the night. (He is a healthy boy at over 25 pounds and about 30 inches long.) The doctor says that I should soothe him and let him cry it out. I have tried but he just screams and screams and I cave in and let him nurse. I am heading back to work Tuesday after 8 months maternity leave. I am trying to build up a supply of milk so that he can have a bottle 2-3 times a day while I am at work. His typical feeding schedule is: wake up by 6am - nurse, cereal somewhere around 8am, nurse around 10am (naptime), lunch around noon, nurse again around 2pm (naptime) dinner around 5pm, nurse around 7pm, then off to bed. Then he wakes up twice in the middle of the night. I am trying to pump the opposite side he nurses on after each nursing. I also pump before I go to bed at night. I am getting very little. What can I do? Should I supplement with formula??? Not something I want to do, but will if I must. Looking for any advice. I have heard and read that when you add solids your milk supply can begin to diminish. Has this happened to anyone out there? If so, what did you do???

Mommy to Parker 01.04.2008 and Christopher 12.23.2010

Default Re: Milk Supply Diminishing???!!!????

I haven't had a supply issue, but I can share my experience with working and pumping and offering solids. It sounds like he is nursing well and getting what he needs. So long as he is gaining, reaching milestones, and has adequate wet/poopy dipes I wouldn't worry about whether he is getting enough. If you did want to increase his intake of BM, you could try to nurse before offering solids and/or cut back on the amount of solids offered.

The amount you can pump isn't a good indicator of your supply. Your body reacts differently to the pump than to babe. It sounds like from your description that you are pumping one side at a time. Is that correct? Have you tried pumping both sides? I find that my output is better when I double pump. What type of pump are you using? I have a PISA (double electric) and I think this is the minimum type that you want if you are going to be pumping regularly.

And as far as his night waking, I think this is typical. Reaching new milestones, teething, etc all impact LO's sleep. Plenty of good sleepers go through phases of night waking.
    Last edited by @llli*lilbirdie22; August 30th, 2008 at 06:35 PM.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Thanks so much for you help and advice. I have a medela double electric pump. I will try double pumping from now on. My main concern was whether I could provide enough milk for 2-3 bottles a day for the time I will be away at work. I didn't know if I started pumping more regularly, say after he eats his solids, along with nursing, if it would help increase my output. I figure once I begin work I will need to pump at least twice while at work and that will help with providing bottles for the next day.

Mommy to Parker 01.04.2008 and Christopher 12.23.2010

I pumped 3x's a day at work and was able to get about 12-14oz total which was enough for my DDs 3, 4oz bottles. I wouldn't worry too much about pumping a lot ahead of time. You really only need enough for that first day away from him. If you can pump enough during your 2 sessions for the next day then you are all set. I know some mamas will add an early morning or night session if they need to collect a bit more in order to have enough.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09