Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Re: When I start more solids how much to nurse?

Default Re: When I start more solids how much to nurse?

My 12 month old daughter lost a few ounces last month, has put them and them some back on, doctor wants me to wean completely to milk and solids, but she is uninterested in either. I wish to slowly wean giving up the before bed nursing last and when she is ready. How can I tell if I nurse enough? I offer breast several times a day, try to fill her calorie needs, and must be, because she sleeps and only wakes for 1 feeding a night. She is a very busy baby, and was very fat until recently. She still has a few rolls of fat and is in 50th percentile for height and weight. I also would like to work a little this summer and would like her to take milk or exbm and solids while I'm away, even though she has NEVER wanted to drink even freshly expressed bm. Any ideas? Am I doing the right things for now? Any idea why my MD wants me to wean her so badly?

Hi There!
    This post was moved out of its previous thread and into its own thread to gather you more responses!

I never listen to my doctor when it comes to breastfeeding!! It seems the only reason they ever want you to wean is that they want to know exactly how much is being eaten. If she is very active that is why she is slimming down. My babies always slim down when they start walking and running and sometimes they get so interested in what they are doing they do not want to stop and eat. As for the summer job.... summer is a ways off babies change so quickly I would worry when the time gets closer. You sound like you are doing a great job!! Your daughter is old enough to raise a stink if she thinks different!

Copying & Pasting my response to you from the other thread:

CSpengler - I have no idea why your ped would be adamant about weaning at 12 months. If your baby is uninterested in solid foods then it would be unreasonable to remove her one and only food source. Besides, breast milk is going to have more fat and calories than any solid food you can give her. A baby derives benefits from nursing no matter how long they nurse. This site isn't approved by LLL but it's got some really great information on the benefits of extended nursing http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-refs.html. Also check out the references - there's some LLL-approved sources there.

The American Academy of Pediatricians (AAP) recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months of life with continued nursing for at least 12 months. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years.

You know your baby best -- how do you feel she's doing?